"It means a lot," Johnson said of the award. "It's a great deal, not just for me, but for the school and the Wolverine nation and my team."
The 6-6, 219 Johnson threw for 3,193 yards on 198-293 passing with 31 touchdowns and just seven interceptions as a senior. He also added 705 yards and seven touchdowns on just 105 carries as he led Carver to 12 wins in 2012.
There had been some talk that Johnson would visit Ole Miss this coming weekend to take a look at the Rebels, but on Wednesday he put an end to that talk by saying that he's done with recruiting.
"I'm through with recruiting," Johnson said. "Auburn is where I want to be and where I'm going. I hung in because it's all about family and All In at Auburn."
"I'm going to be up there every weekend just to recruit," he added. "That's my goal. I'm just going to start off being a leader right there and surround me that can help us win a National Championship."
When Auburn accepted a commitment from junior college quarterback Nick Marshall earlier this week it immediately caused a stir for fans wondering how it would impact Johnson's decision. He said as far as he's concerned it has no bearing on things because he knows he's going to have to earn the job at Auburn.
"It doesn't affect me," Johnson said. "I'm a competitor. I love to compete. It's not about who's coming in or anything. It's about just getting the job done."
With the goal of winning a state championship in basketball on his mind, Johnson said he'll also continue to help the coaching staff recruit and finish strong in this class. One of his obvious targets is good friend and 6A Lineman of the Year Reuben Foster, a player Johnson feels confident he can get back in the fold.
"I'm just trying to get everyone back on board," Johnson said. "Reuben, he's confused but at the end of the day Reuben is going to be at Auburn."