The Tigers, who are 15-9 and ranked No. 29 nationally, took charge early on the way to victory vs. 33rd ranked Georgia State at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex where their second round match is set for 3 p.m.
"We knew going in that this was going to be a tough match today," Auburn men's Eric Shore said. "It was nice to get the doubles point and I think that gave us some momentum going into singles where Georgia State was its strongest. The heat was definitely a factor for both teams. We won 4-0, but it was really a close match."
The victory marks the ninth time Shore's 13 NCAA tournament teams have won their opening round match.
The doubles pairing of seniors Robbert Lathouwers and Alex Schweizer, ranked 39th, opened with an 8-6 victory over Anze Cevka and Martin Stiegwardt in the No. 1 match. The Tigers clinched the doubles point as the No. 2 team of Terence Nugent and Pawel Dilaj defeated Nejc Podkrajsek and Mattias Skold of Georgia State 8-4.
Nugent took a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 6 singles vs. Daniel Balog to make the team score 2-0. His doubles partner then won 7-6, 7-6 over Cevka to make it 3-0 and Lukas Marsoun clinched the team victory with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over Skold.
1. #39 Robbert Lathouwers/Alex Schweizer (AU) def. Anze Cevka Martin/Stiegwardt (GSU), 8-6
2. Terence Nugent/Pawel Dilaj (AU) def. Nejc Podkrajsek/Mattias Skold (GSU), 8-4
3. Lukas Marsoun/Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) vs. Augusto Alvarado/Andrew Arango (GSU), UF (AU led, 7-5)
1. #56 Alex Schweizer (AU) vs. No. 57 Martin Stiegwardt (GSU), uf (3-6, 6-4, 1-3)
2. #39 Robbert Lathouwers (AU) vs. Nejc Podkrajsek (GSU), uf (6-3, 3-6, 3-1)
3. Lukas Marsoun (AU) def. Mattias Skold (GSU), 7-5, 6-1
4. Alexey Tsyrenov (AU) vs. Andrew Arango, uf (3-6, 6-2)
5. Pawel Dilaj (AU) def. Anze Cevka (GSU), 7-6, 7-6
6. Terence Nugent (AU) def. Daniel Balog (GSU), 6-3, 6-1