Auburn, which finished team play 14-10 vs. a strong spring schedule, isn't finished with the season yet. No. 1 singles player Fani Chifchieva will play in the NCAA Tournament individual competition while the team of Alex Haney and Melissa Konig has received an invitation to the NCAA doubles competition. The draw for both events has not been announced.
"Georgia is a great team and you have to give them credit," Auburn coach Tim Gray said. "We battled with them step for step, but we just came up short today."
Gray's Tigers advanced to the round of 32 in NCAA team play with a 4-3 victory on Friday over North Carolina State. Also in Athens, the Auburn men's team defeated Georgia State 4-0 in the opening round of NCAA play before falling to unbeaten Georgia 4-0 on Saturday evening.
1. #7 Natalie Frazier (UGA) def. #16 Fani Chifchieva (AU) 6-2, 6-1
2. #32 Monika Dancevic (UGA), vs. Alex Haney (AU) 7-5, 4-3
3. #68 Yvette Hyndman (UGA), vs. Melissa Koning (AU) 6-4, 3-6, 1-1
4. Kelley Hyndman (UGA) vs. Jill Hastenrath (AU), 6-3, 3-2
5. #72 Darya Ivanov (UGA) def. Kelly Adams, 6-0, 6-2
6. Naoko Ueshima (UGA) def. Heather Bybee (AU) 6-1, 6-0
1. #13 Alex Haney/Melissa Koning (AU) vs. #7 Ivanov/Y. Hyndman (UGA), 6-4 unfinished
2. K. Kyndman/Dancevic (UGA) def. Kelly Adams/Jill Hastenrath (AU), 8-2
3. Ueshima/Frazier (UGA) def. Heather Bybee/Fani Chifchieva (AU), 8-0