Leroy Bears Down Behind Moseley For Win

The Leroy Bears won the Class 2A State Championship on Friday over Fyffe.

Birmingham, Ala.--In a back and forth contest that saw both teams take control of the game at times, the final outcome was decided by a player that will likely be one of the top players in Alabama next season.

Struggling early in Friday's Class 2A State Championship game, Leroy junior quarterback Clint Moseley put his team on his shoulders and delivered Leroy's second consecutive state title and third in the last four years with a 25-20 win over Fyffe at Legion Field.

Earning MVP honors, Moseley completed 16 of 27 passes for 243 yards and three touchdowns with just one interception. His favorite target was wide receiver Patrick Rivers, who caught seven passes for 120 yards and three scores. It was those two that made the difference for Leroy as they did just enough to pull out the win, but it wasn't easy.

Trailing 20-19 in the fourth quarter, Moseley and the Leroy offense took advantage of a short punt by Fyffe to take the lead back for good. Taking over at midfield, Moseley scrambled for 18 yards to the Fyffe 32-yard line. From there it was all about the arm from the junior as Moseley hit Rivers for his third touchdown of the game. A two-point conversion failed leaving Leroy tenuously holding onto a five-point advantage.

Fyffe failed to move the football on its next drive and punted back to Leroy where they took over at their own 31. Two plays lost three yards, setting up a huge third and 13 with just over three minutes left in the contest. Dropping back in the pocket, Moseley calmly delivered a strike to a leaping Steven Scoggins for 33 yards and a first down. Leroy was able to run almost two more minutes off the clock before punting back to Fyffe with just 1:27 left in the contest and held the Red Devils to seal the victory.

Following a scoreless first quarter that saw both defenses dominate, the offense finally picked up in the second as Fyffe put together a short drive of 37 yards. The 10-play drive culminated with a 30-yard field goal by Norbert Blum that put the Red Devils up 3-0 early. The score apparently woke up the Leroy offense as they answered the score behind the passing of Moseley.

Starting the drive at their own 33, the Bears quickly moved the ball down the field behind the arm of the big junior. On the first play of the drive he hit the talented Johnny Williams for nine yards. Following a four-yard Moseley run he hit Aerik Davis for 14 yards over the middle to move into Fyffe territory. Another throw, this time to Williams for 10 yards, put Leroy into scoring position at the 30-yard line.

An 11-yard strike to Rivers moved the ball inside the 20 on the next play, but the drive would stall after that, leaving a fourth and eight from the 17. Rolling to his right Moseley again hit Williams, this time for 10 yards on the sidelines, to keep the drive alive. From there a perfect fade route to Rivers in the left corner gave Leroy the touchdown.

Fyffe's Kyle Greeson rushed for 106 yards on 12 carries with two touchdowns.

Trailing 7-3 Fyffe went to work on the ground. Chewing up over six minutes of the clock on a 13-play, 76-yard touchdown drive, the Red Devils worked the Wing-T offense to perfection. The star of the drive was Kyle Greeson. Running the ball four times for 38 yards on the drive, Greeson finished things off with a 17-yard bruising run up the middle for a touchdown with just 1:32 left in the half.

The first half started slow, but that wasn't the case after the half as Fyffe came out roaring to open the final 24 minutes. Once again eating up the clock, this time 5:48, the Red Devils pounded out a long touchdown drive to extend their lead. Taking over at the 31-yard line, Fyffe scored in 10 plays with the big play coming once again from Greeson. Thanks to a couple of costly Leroy penalties the Red Devils moved the ball down to the Bear 21 and from there Greeson would finish things off with a touchdown run to make it 17-7 Fyffe.

Once again Leroy would answer as they drove 74 yards in just one minute and 40 seconds to pull within one score. Moving the ball to the 28 in just five plays, the Bears got back on the scoreboard as Moseley rolled to his right and hit Rivers in the endzone for the score. The extra point was blocked, leaving the score 17-13 Fyffe with plenty of time left. Another Leroy score, this time a one-yard plunge by 277-yard fullback Detrick Powell, left the Bears down one after a blocked extra-point, but they were able to score one more time to secure the victory.

Inside The AU Tigers Top Stories