So another Christmas is in the books for all of us, but there is still time for last minute requests for Ball State football fans, right? … right?
As we eagerly anticipate the news of our new coach/staff, Ball State fans have plenty to hope and wish will appear under our imaginary Christmas tree between now and signing day in February.
1. A new head coach of course! We are still only days away from the bombshell news that Pete Lembo was packing his bags and heading to Maryland. These have been long days for Cardinal fans, each of us refreshing our Twitter feed to see what name will appear as a candidate, or better, as the next man in charge. All Ball State fans can truly wish for is that a decision is made, sooner rather than later, and it is a great one for the program.
2. The recruiting class holds intact. There are 16 verbal commits sitting around, just like the fans are, waiting to hear the news of the new coaching staff. Some have made it clear there are no plans of them decomitting, but others … well, the longer it goes, the tougher it will be to keep teams from trolling them.
3. That new staff finds that big, athletic WR Ball State has been in need of in this class. Jordan Williams has exhausted his eligibility and eyes the NFL. That leaves a spot for someone to take his place and the Cardinals have two big possibilities in Xavier Ubosi and Damon Hazelton holding offers from the prior staff. Ubosi is a long shot with multiple solid offers. Hazelton, who visited Muncie before the quiet period and Lembo’s departure, could be the man and at 6-4 200 he already looks the part.
4. Help on Defense. The Cardinals still have offers out to some solid named prospects on the defensive side of the ball. In the secondary, the Cardinals are still looking at Indianapolis Southport DB Eli Walton, Baltimore Douglass’s DeAndre House and Deerfield Beach, FL’s Simeon Brown. At LB, The Cardinals have offers out on JUCO LB Emmanuel Beal, Cincinnati Colerain Darryll Gardner and Maryland Heights (MO) Pattonville’s Markail Williams.
5. That big, bruising RB that can pound the defense. Darian Green is a lightning fast, but small back. James Gilbert is tough, but not too big. What the Cardinals need is that short yardage guy that can get the tough yards when needed – that guy is David Montgomery of Mount Healthy in Cincinnati.