CHICAGO - Caleb Swanigan recently narrowed his school list to seven and now the five-star prospect is approaching a college decision.
Recruiting is winding down for Caleb Swanigan
, as the five-star prospect says he’ll have a decision by the end of next month.
The 6-foot-9, 265-pound 2015 center from Fort Wayne (Ind.) Homestead has narrowed his list to Arizona
, Chicago State, Duke
, Michigan State
California and Duke have received official visits and it’s unknown whether or not he’ll see any other campuses before he makes a decision.
“I’m not sure if I’ll take any but I might take one,” Swanigan said.
Even though he hasn’t taken an official visit to the school, Swanigan has unofficially visited Kentucky twice and the Wildcats remain one of the main contenders to ultimately land him.
“It was highly professional,” Swanigan said of his trips to Lexington. “Coach (John) Calipari expects the most of those guys and treats them like he would treat one of his sons, making sure they do the right thing.”
There are a couple McDonald’s All-Americans already committed to Duke in Chase Jeter
and Luke Kennard
, both of which are recruiting Swanigan to join them in Durham.
“Chase and Luke are on me to go to Duke,” said Swanigan. “Luke was there when I was there. Harry (Giles) and Dennis (Smith) were there too. They have a good program. They’re losing a big part of their team so they need someone to come in and play.”
One of the surprising schools on Swanigan’s list is California, but he maintains that he’s serious about attending Cal.
“I’m pretty serious about Cal,” he said. “I like the coach (Cuonzo Martin
); he’s been recruiting me since Tennessee
early on. We have a good relationship from when he was coaching in the Midwest.”
Swanigan took an official visit to Cal at the same time as Ivan Rabb
and the two have discussed possibly attending Berkeley together.
“We went on an official visit together (to Cal) and are pretty good friends from all the camps, USA (basketball) and stuff like that. We’ve been talking about it.
“(Cal’s staff) hasn’t pitched us anything in terms of a package deal. Zo (Cuonzo) has been 100 about everything he says. He’s been saying he needs guys willing to play for the team; he hasn’t sold package deals or coming to play with another player. It’s more been, ‘I’m going to help you when you’re here.’”
One way or the other, expect a decision from Swanigan sooner than later.
“April,” Swanigan gave as his timetable. “I’m not sure which day. I’m just trying to get everything out of the way and figure it out. I don’t think I’ll put a date. I may say something earlier in the day but I won’t say, ‘This day or this week.’”