Wing Firepower Highlights Roster
Gone are guys like James White, Jason Clark, Keith Jennifer, Ricky Shields, Sharrod Ford, Andre Collins and Michael Southall. Gone is head coach Kevin Keatts, now an assistant at Marshall. Replacing them are players like Mario Boggan, Cameron Bennerman, Stanley Asumnu and Trent Strickland. Mike Preston takes over as head coach.
Hargrave simply reloads each year and the 2001-02 season is no different. Sure, no less than seven major Division I signees will be missed and the expectations might not be quite as high, but make no mistake this is a talented bunch.
On Thursday, minus the presence of college recruiters who likely found it hard to get into that part of Virginia under the current circumstances, the team ran through a workout. For whatever reason, probably because of what's going on in New York and D.C., the kids seemed lethargic. Instead of their normal scrimmage routine, this bunch ran and found themselves working a lot on conditioning. Without the benefit of having seem the kids play in a game situation, here's a glimpse at what Hargrave's roster looks like:
- Timmy Smith, PG: The lone returning player from last year's team is the most competitive kid on campus. Smith is a lefty and very fast. No one was less pleased with the way the team worked out on Thursday than Smith. He skipped a water break because he said, "We aren't working hard enough to deserve water."
- Robert Strickland, PF/SF: The Cheasapeake, Va., native is athletic though slightly undersized. He'll be one of the first guys off the bench that Preston turns to.
- Cameron Bennerman, SG: One of the best players on the team, Bennerman is a well-built athlete whose jump shot appears to really be steadying itself. His handle also appears to be improved and the reports that his game is going places are seemingly correct.
- Stanley Asumnu, SG: He's filled out and looks great. We knew he could shoot it to deep range, but Asumnu now looks to be a much better athlete than ever and he finished a lot of plays in drills with athletic slam dunks we never knew he had in him.
- Trent Strickland, SF: He's one of the core group of swingmen that are important to this team, along with Asumnu and Bennerman. Bound for Wake Forest, Strickland is a long athlete.
- Renardo Dixon, PF: He weighs just 180 pounds and is 6-9, but he's a super athlete. Without seeing him in a game, it's tough to say what level he is, but there's no doubting his athleticism and he appears to have some post moves to go along with his long, athletic frame. He also has a nice short range touch.
- Mario Boggan, C/PF: Preston wants to see his conditioning improve, especially since Hargrave routinely scores well over 100 points. That means up and down the court is the norm and Preston says he's doing well, but sometimes wears down. Regardless, he's the top post player in the program and he's a load to deal with.
Other team members:
- Rashad Curtis, CG
- Miles Pittman, SF
- Phillip Crum, SG
- Chad Myers, PG
- Matt Towell, PF
Coach: Mike Preston
Assistant Coaches: Chris Zupko, Mark Byington