Lighter Look At The Brackets
- If Texas Southern beats UNC-Asheville in the "play-in-game" then TJ Ford and Texas Southern head coach Ronnie Courtney will have a reunion. Courtney coached Ford and Duke's Daniel Ewing at Willowridge High. However, none of the above parties are the most famous alums of Willowridge. We understand the main members of Destiny's Child did schoolwork at the high school.
- Alabama and Indiana will tip it off in the first round of the tournament. Indiana head coach Mike Davis is an Alabama alum. The Hoosiers and Tide are likely to meet up quite a bit on the recruiting trail in the future as well. This year they are both angling for power forward D.J. White.
- Marquette opens with Holy Cross and the connections run deep. Holy Cross head coach Ralph Willard had Tom Crean on his staff at Western Kentucky. He also coached current Marquette assistant Darrin Horn when he was a player at WKU.
- There will be a MAC reunion in the first round as former MAC rivals Herb Sendek (North Carolina State) and Ben Braun (California) match wits. Braun coached Eastern Michigan and Sendek each won MAC titles in back to back years.
And How About Potential 2nd Round Matchups?
- Florida and Michigan State both recruited current Gator Anthony Roberson. They could meet next weekend and are anything but strangers.
- Kentucky and Utah could possibly lock horns. The pair played for the 1998 national title which of course Kentucky came away with the victory.
- St. Joseph's Phil Martelli and Wake Forest's Skip Prosser aren't strangers. They coached against each other when Prosser was at Xavier in the Atlantic 10.
- Oklahoma and NC State could meet in round two. OU's Kelvin Sampson is a native of North Carolina.