Whooped in Waco

After stealing one from the Aggies at Reed Arena earlier this month, the Baylor Bears (18-10, 7-7) took down the #17 Texas A&M Aggies (22-6, 9-5) 58-51 in Waco on Saturday night. The Bears win in the 203rd "Battle of the Brazos" keeps the Bears' hopes of making the NCAA Tournament alive and snaps their two game losing streak.

David Loubeau got the Aggies out to an early 3-0 lead until Lacedarius Dunn got the Bears on the board. After a Ray Turner jumper, Perry Jones brought the Bears back within 1 point. After a J'mison Morgan block (one of his 3 on the night), AJ Walton put the Bears ahead 6-5 on the next possession. The Bears, who have struggled to hold on to leads all season, never trailed again.

The two teams exchanged buckets for most of the first half. Neither team was able to go on a significant run, however. Offensively, it was one of Baylor's most balanced attacks this season. Perry Jones' jump shot was on all night and the Bears kept finding a way to get him the ball. Jones scored 10 points in the first half, giving the Bears a 32-28 lead at the half.

Morgan's tough defensive play continued in the second half, stealing the ball away from Dash Harris on the half's opening possession. Perry Jones' scoring continued as well, with a put-back after an AJ Walton miss. Dunn scored on a layup and Mark Turgeon had no choice but to call a timeout with the Bears leading 36-28 and on the verge of pulling away early in the half.

The Aggies' scoring woes continued, with over 5 minutes passing before they scored in the second half. Fortunately for them, Baylor also was unable to fully take advantage of that stretch and only scored 4 points in the half's opening 7 minutes. Perry Jones and Quincy Acy each scored to extend the Bears' lead to 40-32 with 11:01 remaining. Coming out of the timeout, Morgan hit one of his two free throws, then the Aggies came roaring back, scoring 7 points in under a minute, cutting the lead to just 2 points. Then, as he has done throughout his career, Dunn knocked down a 3-pointer to swing the momentum back Baylor's way. Dunn hit a couple of free throws and Acy threw down a thunderous dunk to give the Bears an 8 point lead with 6:03 remaining.

Baylor extended their lead to 12 points with just over a minute remaining. The Aggies gave the Baylor crowd a bit of a scare after a David Lebeau and-one, followed by an Andrew Darko three-pointer to cut the lead to 6. Perry Jones hit a pair of free-throws though, locking up the game for the Bears.

Jones and Dunn led the Bears with 16 points apiece. Acy scored 10 points off the bench. The Bears turned the ball over 14 times, but were able to force 13 of them and had 8 blocks in the game. Defensively, Baylor was able to hold A&M to just 35.2% shooting.

The Bears will be back in action and needing a win against the struggling Oklahoma State Cowboys (17-11, 5-9) this Tuesday at 6:00 in Stillwater.

Bears Illustrated Top Stories