Stuffed in Stillwater

It was as close to a must-win as you can get for the Baylor Bears (18-11, 7-8) on Tuesday night, desperately needing a win to keep their hopes of making the NCAA Tournament alive. The Oklahoma State Cowboys (18-11, 6-9), however, weren't having any of it. The Cowboys dominated the second half, knocking off the Bears 71-60 in Stillwater.

Needing just 12 points to become the Big 12's all-time scoring leader, anyone that has followed Baylor basketball for the past 4 years would have expected Lacedarius Dunn to break the record with ease against the Cowboys. However, it wasn't Dunn's night. OSU completely shut him down, holding him to 2/16 shooting to finish the game with just 7 points, making it the first time in 33 games Dunn didn't finish the game in double figures.

Dunn wasn't the only Baylor player to struggle offensively, though. As has been the case for much of the season, the Bears struggled to get points on the board Tuesday night. The Bears found themselves in 7-0 hole to start the game, with over 4 minutes passing before the first Baylor point. Dunn finally ended the scoring drought with 15:47 remaining, hitting his only three-pointer of the night. A couple of minutes later, the Bears pulled ahead following an AJ Walton trey.

Baylor led by as many as 6 points in the first half, an impressive feat considering their two leading scorers were shut down. Freshman Perry Jones only had 2 points in the first half to go along with Dunn's 3. The Bears were forced to look elsewhere for points, so Quincy Acy stepped up and scored 8 points in the first half. The first half ended with a Dunn failed three-point attempt (1 of his 8 misses on the night) and the Bears leading 30-27.

With a chance to add to the lead out of the break, Baylor instead opened the second half with a turnover (one of their 16 in the game). A quick Marshall Moses (who led the Cowboys on Senior Night with 16 points) jumper cut the lead to one. A couple of minutes later (after being held to just 4 points in the first half), Keiton Page came alive, hitting 1 of his 3 crucial second half threes, giving the Cowboys the lead. After Perry Jones evened things back out, Page struck again, giving the Cowboys a lead they wouldn't give up for the rest of the game.

With 11:08 to play, it looked like the Bears were out of it, trailing 47-38. Dunn then hit a pair of free throws, followed by an Acy tip-in and an Anthony Jones three to cut the lead to 2. After 2 Matt Pilgrim free throws, Jones struck from three again to trim the lead to one. The Bears couldn't pull ahead, though. The Cowboys then went on a 13-4 run, putting the game out of reach.

Acy led the Bears with 13 points, followed by AJ Walton with 12 and Perry Jones with 10. Dunn appeared to be forcing shots all night long in order to break the record, which ended up hurting the team down the stretch.

The Bears have a shot at redemption in a definite must-win against the #8 Texas Longhorns (24-6, 12-3) on Saturday night at 8:00 at the Ferrell Center. The ESPN Gameday crew will be on hand all day on Saturday, broadcasting live from 7-9 AM leading up to the game at 8:00. Stay tuned to for all the latest details surrounding Saturday's festivities.

Bears Illustrated Top Stories