Baylor already came into Monday night's game with its highest ever ranking and best start in program history. The Bears' 61-52 victory over rival Texas A&M set a new high water mark: their first 14-game winning streak in school history.
Perry Jones III led Baylor with 14 points and grabbed 12 rebounds. Team captain Quincy Acy added 13 points and 3 blocks. Freshman Quincy Miller contributed 11 points and A.J. Walton was the fourth Bear in double digits with 10 points.
Overall, the Bears shot just 39.2% from the floor and a paltry 16.7% from behind the arc. For the second straight game, Baylor scored under 65 points but once again leaned on its team defense for the win. The Aggies shot only 28% from the floor and were out-rebounded 37-32. To compound matters, A&M had 20 personal fouls for the game and Baylor went 19 of 24 at the charity stripe (79.2%). Aggie starters Khris Middleton and David Loubeau found themselves in foul trouble throughout much of the game.
"Defensively, I'm proud of our guys. We did a good enough job defensively," Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy said. "But when you go 6 for 28 in the first half and you've got two of your best players on the bench not playing, it's going to be tough."
The Bears' next game will be Saturday at 12:45 p.m. CST when they take on Texas Tech in Lubbock.
- Baylor holds a four game winning streak over Texas A&M dating back to 2010.
- The Bears are one of four remaining undefeated teams in NCAA Division I Men's Basketball.
- Baylor has won five consecutive conference openers.
- The Battle of the Brazos is tied 16-16 in the Big 12 era. Texas A&M holds the overall series advantage at 127-77.
- Due to Texas A&M's impending departure to the Southeastern Conference, this was the last scheduled conference meeting in Waco between Texas A&M and Baylor. The two will meet February 1st for their final conference meeting in College Station and possibly ever, barring a matchup in the Big 12 tournament.
Still Undefeated: Baylor Slams Aggies
Bears Illustrated Top Stories
Mayden Discusses Top Five, Decision ComingJalen Mayden breaks down his top five list and why each school made the cut. He is set to announce his commitment this spring.
Scout Football7:11 AM
Risers and Fallers from Spring CampThe Bears wrapped up spring camp this weekend with their annual green vs. gold spring game. Who were the risers and the fallers as we now move onto the summer and fall.
Bears IllustratedYesterday at 10:23 AM
Jalen Hurd Chooses BaylorThe Bears pulled another transfer from an SEC school, this time Jalen Hurd from Tennessee.
Bears IllustratedSaturday at 3:49 PM
Bears Show New Style in Spring GameThe Baylor Bears took to McLane Stadium Saturday afternoon, and put on a show for their fans, and possibly 50+ recruits. Showing off a new offense and defense, what lessons can be…
Bears IllustratedSaturday at 12:02 PM
BU Celebrate Longtime Volunteer, Clint LewisThe Bears took a play out of their scrimmage to thank a 20+ year member of their program, Clint Lewis.
Bears IllustratedSaturday at 11:50 AM