Baylor already came into Monday night's game with its highest ever ranking and best start in program history. The Bears' 61-52 victory over rival Texas A&M set a new high water mark: their first 14-game winning streak in school history.
Perry Jones III led Baylor with 14 points and grabbed 12 rebounds. Team captain Quincy Acy added 13 points and 3 blocks. Freshman Quincy Miller contributed 11 points and A.J. Walton was the fourth Bear in double digits with 10 points.
Overall, the Bears shot just 39.2% from the floor and a paltry 16.7% from behind the arc. For the second straight game, Baylor scored under 65 points but once again leaned on its team defense for the win. The Aggies shot only 28% from the floor and were out-rebounded 37-32. To compound matters, A&M had 20 personal fouls for the game and Baylor went 19 of 24 at the charity stripe (79.2%). Aggie starters Khris Middleton and David Loubeau found themselves in foul trouble throughout much of the game.
"Defensively, I'm proud of our guys. We did a good enough job defensively," Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy said. "But when you go 6 for 28 in the first half and you've got two of your best players on the bench not playing, it's going to be tough."
The Bears' next game will be Saturday at 12:45 p.m. CST when they take on Texas Tech in Lubbock.
- Baylor holds a four game winning streak over Texas A&M dating back to 2010.
- The Bears are one of four remaining undefeated teams in NCAA Division I Men's Basketball.
- Baylor has won five consecutive conference openers.
- The Battle of the Brazos is tied 16-16 in the Big 12 era. Texas A&M holds the overall series advantage at 127-77.
- Due to Texas A&M's impending departure to the Southeastern Conference, this was the last scheduled conference meeting in Waco between Texas A&M and Baylor. The two will meet February 1st for their final conference meeting in College Station and possibly ever, barring a matchup in the Big 12 tournament.
Still Undefeated: Baylor Slams Aggies
Bears Illustrated Top Stories
Bears Show Great Fight in 24-21 Loss at WVUBears close out the season with a sixth straight loss, but leave everything on the field at West Virginia
Bears IllustratedYesterday at 4:44 PM
New Name Emerges in Baylor Coaching SearchWKU Insider has confirmed with multiple sources that Western Kentucky University football coach Jeff Brohm will interview with Baylor on Sunday. The Toppers won the C-USA title…
WKU InsiderYesterday at 4:26 PM
Bears Perfect Season ContinuesThe 9th ranked Baylor Bears defeated the 7th ranked Xavier Muskateers 76-61 to go to 8-0 on the year.
Bears IllustratedYesterday at 3:23 PM
Where does Coaching Search go Now?With SMU's Chad Morris staying in Dallas and Tom Herman off to Texas, where does the Baylor coaching search go now?
Bears IllustratedFriday at 6:01 AM