Baylor already came into Monday night's game with its highest ever ranking and best start in program history. The Bears' 61-52 victory over rival Texas A&M set a new high water mark: their first 14-game winning streak in school history.
Perry Jones III led Baylor with 14 points and grabbed 12 rebounds. Team captain Quincy Acy added 13 points and 3 blocks. Freshman Quincy Miller contributed 11 points and A.J. Walton was the fourth Bear in double digits with 10 points.
Overall, the Bears shot just 39.2% from the floor and a paltry 16.7% from behind the arc. For the second straight game, Baylor scored under 65 points but once again leaned on its team defense for the win. The Aggies shot only 28% from the floor and were out-rebounded 37-32. To compound matters, A&M had 20 personal fouls for the game and Baylor went 19 of 24 at the charity stripe (79.2%). Aggie starters Khris Middleton and David Loubeau found themselves in foul trouble throughout much of the game.
"Defensively, I'm proud of our guys. We did a good enough job defensively," Texas A&M head coach Billy Kennedy said. "But when you go 6 for 28 in the first half and you've got two of your best players on the bench not playing, it's going to be tough."
The Bears' next game will be Saturday at 12:45 p.m. CST when they take on Texas Tech in Lubbock.
- Baylor holds a four game winning streak over Texas A&M dating back to 2010.
- The Bears are one of four remaining undefeated teams in NCAA Division I Men's Basketball.
- Baylor has won five consecutive conference openers.
- The Battle of the Brazos is tied 16-16 in the Big 12 era. Texas A&M holds the overall series advantage at 127-77.
- Due to Texas A&M's impending departure to the Southeastern Conference, this was the last scheduled conference meeting in Waco between Texas A&M and Baylor. The two will meet February 1st for their final conference meeting in College Station and possibly ever, barring a matchup in the Big 12 tournament.
Still Undefeated: Baylor Slams Aggies
Bears Illustrated Top Stories
Branson Bragg Talks Baylor and Busy SummerCrandall (TX) HS C, Branson Bragg, talks Baylor and his summer so far.
Bears Illustrated1:28 PM
Rhule Continues to Rebuild Baylor ImageFirst year Baylor head coach Matt Rhule is attempting to not rebuild the Bears football program on the field, but rather off it. Those failures off the field are why he is in Waco.
Bears Illustrated9:44 AM
Chris Herron Talks Baylor OfferAfter standing out at a recent camp, Chris Herron talks about his offer from Baylor
Bears IllustratedThursday at 2:23 PM
Mario Kegler Commits to BaylorThe Baylor Bears filled their last scholarship spot with the transfer of Mario Kegler from Mississippi State. The former Top-50 player, Kegler will sit out 2017-18 and have 3 years…
Bears Making Push for 2018 ForwardCHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Four-star forward Ignas Brazdeikis discusses his decision to go 2018 or 2017, as well as the schools involved in his recruitment.