With two weeks to go in the 2016 season, Baylor fans are probably more focused on who the next head coach will be, rather than this Friday's game against Texas Tech. However, the Bears still have two games to save their season, one that has fallen apart since a 6-0 start propelled them into the Top-10. Baylor might have fallen from a lofty perk, but at least they saw some heights. The Red Raiders have been scuffling all season, losing tough games to Oklahoma and Oklahoma State, before a 66-10 demolishing on the road to Iowa State. Tech has lost 6 of their last 7 games and comes into their season finale looking for any sign of life under embattled coach, and one time favorite son, Kliff Kingsbury.
Patrick Mahomes, sensational in his first two career games against Baylor, has been even better in his junior year. He has set all kinds of single game records, including a ridiculous 700+ passing yard game against Oklahoma earlier this year. But with a defense that has regressed, and a running game that has turned into one of the worst in the nation, the Red Raiders season has fallen apart, even with Mahomes brilliant play.
The Bears have other issues, mostly coming from off the field distractions. Add in a true freshman quarterback in Zach Smith making just his second career start, and the Bears have plenty of question marks of their own. Can a defense that played with passion and energy (and positive results) over the first 6-games find any success? Can the Bears offensive line gel and protect the quarterback, something they have failed to do the past few weeks.
With so many questions for both teams, it will be interesting to see what type of crowd comes to Arlington to possibly get answers, especially over a holiday weekend.
NR/NR/NR BAYLOR (6-4, 3-4) vs. NR/NR/NR Texas Tech (4-7, 2-6)
Nov. 25, 2016 | 5 p.m. CT
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
- Baylor looks to snap a 4-game losing streak when facing Texas Tech Friday in the 8th-annual Texas Farm Bureau Insurance Shootout on ESPN at 5 p.m.
- Baylor and Texas Tech?are meeting for the 75th time. BU leads the all-time series 37-36-1.
- BU?has won the last 5 meetings in the series to hold a 5-2 edge in 7 games of the neutral site series.
- Baylor will be trying to win 6 straight vs. TTU for first time since 1947-60 (11 in a row).
- The Bears have won 7 of their last 9 neutral site contests, but are just 2-2 away from Waco in 2016.
- Baylor has an all-time record of 48-50-5 in DFW, but has won 7 of its last 9 games played there.
- The Bears are 5-2 all-time at AT&T Stadium, scoring an average of 49.4 points in those 7 games.
Quick Look at Texas Tech
- Location _______________________________________ Lubbock, Texas
- Founded _____________________________________________ 1923
- Enrollment __________________________________________35,893
- Chancellor______________________________________ Robert Duncan
- Nickname ________________________________________ Red Raiders
- Official Mascot _________________________ Masked Rider (horse and rider)
- Unofficial Mascot _________________________ Raider Red (cartoon figure)
- Colors________________________ Scarlet (PMS 485c) & Black (Process Black)
- Stadium (capacity) _______________________ Jones AT&T Stadium (60,454)
- Band _______________________ Goin’ Band From Raiderland (400 members)
- 2015 Record/Big 12 Finish________________________7-6, 4-5 (Big12)/Sixth
- Offensive Scheme ______________________________________Spread
- Defensive Scheme_____________________________________Multiple
- Lettermen Returning From 2015 ______________________________ 47
- Lettermen Lost From 2015 __________________________________ 21
- 2015 Signees ___________________________________________ 24
- Offensive Starters Returning __________________________________ 6 (I. Sadler, B. Brown, R. Davis, D. Lauderdale, Mahomes, Morales)
- Offensive Starters Lost ______________________________________ 5 (L. Clark, A. Morales, J. Kaster D. Washington, J. Grant)
- Defensive Starters Returning__________________________________ 5 (Nelson, J. Johnson, Madison, Hinton, Fehoko)
- Defensive Starters Lost______________________________________ 5 (Robertson, Jackson, Levi, Awe, Gaines)
- First Year of Football _____________________________________ 1925
- All-Time Record ____________________________551-429-32 (91 Seasons)
- All-Time Conference Record_____________________________261-220-10
- Conference Championships __________________________________ 11
- Big 12 Division Championships (Last) ____________________1 (South-2008)
- Bowl Appearances (Record)____________________________ 37 (14-22-1)
What Happened Last Time
In the first real test for the Bears during the 2016 season, Texas Tech proved to be no test at all. A simply dominant start to the game saw the Bears go up 42-14 in the second quarter against Texas Tech and a 49-21 halftime lead. Behind a brilliant running attack that saw the Bears running back finish with 5 touchdowns, Shock Linwood ran for a then career high 220 yards and two touchdowns. Baylor averaged over 7 yards per carry, while Seth Russell threw for four touchdowns, 3 of which went to Corey Coleman.