The Boise State women's tennis team will play for the Western Athletic Conference championship. Boise State recorded its second consecutive shutout today at the Appleton Tennis Center over New Mexico State to earn a spot in the conference final. Coach Mark Tichenor's team will challenge top-seed Fresno State, which also earned a shutout win in downing Nevada. The two rivals will meet Saturday at noon at the Appleton Center.
Boise State rolled to its 14th straight win in running its season record to 22-3, the most wins for a women's tennis team in the history of the school.
No matter what the outcome of tomorrow's match, Boise State has taken over the lead in the WAC Commissioner's Cup Standings. Going into the WAC Tennis Championships, the Broncos were just two points behind Utah State. Boise State will get a minimum of 8 points for their sterling effort in women's tennis while Utah State receives 3.5 points for their appearance in the quarterfinals.
Junior Tiffany Coll and freshman Jana Mackova downed Violaine Rollet and Anne Fagegaltier 8-2 to improve their season mark to an impressive 16-2. Seniors Hadley MacFarlane and Megan Biorkman clinched the doubles win for Boise State with an 8-3 victory over Edine Van Beusekom and Celine du Fosse at #1 singles, the 30th win over the year for the pair. The Broncos have now won 40 straight doubles matches.
After Biorkman and Coll collected wins in singles, Mackova then clinched the match with a straight-set victory. Coll has now won 23 matches against just four defeats.
Following are the complete results from the semifinal matches:
No. 2 Boise State (No. 61 ITA) defeated No. 3 New Mexico State -4-0
April 21, 2006
Boise Racquet and Swim Club
1. MacFarlane/Biorkman, Boise State defeated Van Beusekom/du Fosse, NMSU – 8
2. Carroll/Ganzha, Boise State vs. Mignot/Fintell, NMSU – DNF
3. Coll/Mackova, Boise State defeated Rollet/Fagegaltier, NMSU – 8-2
1. Megan Biorkman, Boise State defeated Isabelle Mignot, NMSU – 6-1, 6-1
2. Hadley MacFarlane, Boise State vs. Edine Van Beusekom, NMSU – DNF
3. Tatiana Ganzha, Boise State vs. Nicole Fintell, NMSU – DNF
4. Alanah Carroll, Boise State vs. Anne Fagegaltier, NMSU – DNF
5. Jana Mackova, Boise State defeated Celine du Fosse, NMSU – 6-1, 6-3
6. Tiffany Coll, Boise State defeated Paulina Zuniga, NMSU – 6-2, 6-1
No. 1 Fresno State (No. 23 ITA) defeated No. 4 Nevada – 4-0
April 21, 2006
Appleton Tennis Center
1. Winterhalter/Sainz, FSU defeated Bailly/Davenport, UNR – 8-4
2. Tokarska/Rowe, FSU vs. Bouchlaka/Velez, UNR – DNF
3. Haskett/Gloria, FSU defeated Bardot/Pham, UNR – 8-3
1. Melanie Gloria, FSU defeated Caroline Bailly, UNR – 6-1, 6-2
2. Kathrin Winterhalter, FSU vs. Myriam Bouchlaka, UNR – DNF
3. Lucia Sainz, FSU defeated Kristen Davenport, UNR – 6-0, 6-0
4. Magda Tokarska, FSU defeated Fiorella Velez, UNR – 6-0, 6-2
5. Jacqui Haskett, FSU vs. Audrey Bardot, UNR - DNF
6. Bruna Paes, FSU vs. Bach-Lan Pham, UNR - DNF