For the second consecutive day, the 17th-ranked
Boise State tennis team received a scare before narrowing
winning. This time, #50 San Diego State gave the Broncos all they
could handle. Brent Werbeck saved the
day for Boise State, fighting off Robert Sabo at #6 singles by a score of 6-2,
7-6 to clinch the 4-3 victory for Coach Greg Patton's Broncos.
With three fairly
easy doubles wins, Boise State earned the doubles point
and appeared ready to roll. #15 Luke
Shields disposed of #28 Christian Groh in straight
sets to put the Broncos up 2-0. #94
Clancy Shields then defeated Marksu Dickhardt from Germany in straight sets and Boise State was one win away from
The middle of the
lineup did not come through, however.
Just seconds after Clancy's win, San Diego State's Anthony Gomez wrapped up
a straight sets win over Piotr Dilaj. Achim Ceban came from behind to
beat Eric Roberson at #4 singles and Juan Gomez did the same to Blake Boswell
at #5 singles.
The positive was
that Boise State survived to earn win
number 6 against zero defeats. Boise State must improve at #3-5
singles to have any chance against more talented teams. The Broncos continue their California road trip next weekend
against UC-Santa Barbara and #42 USC.
#17 Boise State 4, #50 San Diego State 3
1. Robertson/C. Shields (BSU) def. Dickhardt/Ceban
2. Dilaj/L. Shields (BSU) def. A. Gomez/Sabo (SDSU), 8-3
3. Boswell/Roberson (BSU) def. Timu/J. Gomez (SDSU),
1. #15 Luke Shields (BSU) def.
#28 Christian Groh(SDSU), 6-3, 6-4
2. #94 Clancy Shields (BSU) def. Markus
Dickhardt(SDSU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Anthony Gomez (SDSU) def. Piotr Dilaj (BSU), 6-3, 6-4
4. Achim Ceban (SDSU) def. Eric
Roberson (BSU), 2-6, 6-3, 6-1
5. Juan Gomez (SDSU) def. Blake Boswell (BSU), 2-6, 7-6, 6-3
6. Brent Werbeck (BSU) def. Robert
Sabo (SDSU), 6-2, 7-6(5)