#3 Boise State Wins Battle in the Capital

Boise State fans have seen it before. Run out to a big early lead, watch as the opponent comes storming back, then go crazy as the Broncos pull out a last-minute victory. Just another Boise State game as Coach Chris Petersen's #3 Broncos pulled out a 33-30 thriller over Virginia Tech with 1:09 left in the game. (Photo by Foto208.com--all rights reserved.)

Quarterback Boise State hit Austin Pettis with a 13-yard touchdown pass with 1:09 remaining as #3 Boise State pulled out a 33-30 win over #7 Virginia Tech tonight in Landover, Maryland. With their backs against the wall, two minutes remaining and no time outs, the Broncos drove 56 yards in five plays to capture the come-from-behind victory. Moore moved the Broncos with precision passes and Boise State was helped by a personal foul that was called after Pettis had gone out of bounds after a catch.

It was very much a tale of two different games. The Broncos exploded out of the gate for a 17-0 first quarter lead, only to see Virginia Tech regain its footing and outpoint the Broncos 30-9 to grab a 30-26 lead. After the two top ten teams had gone toe-to-toe for 58 minutes, it was the Broncos, who traveled 2,600 miles for the game that prevailed in the end. Virginia Tech controlled the ball for 34:20 compared to 25:40, the Broncos were penalized 11 times for 105 yards and they suffered two costly fumbles. Yet they still battled back to victory.

"Game 1, and that's what it is," said Chris Petersen, who improved to 50-4 as coach of Boise State. "We're just pleased to get out of here with a `W."'

Boise State took the 17-0 lead by taking advantage of critical Hokie mistakes that set up two scoring strikes from Moore. After hitting Pettis for the game's opening score, Moore floated a pass to tight end Tommy Gallarda who showed great hands with an amazing catch in the end zone. But by halftime, Virginia Tech had gotten back into the game on the strength of two Ryan Williams touchdowns to cut the lead to 20-14.

The Broncos began the third quarter with a freak play that resulted in a fumble. As Moore cocked his arm to pass, the football was knocked out of his hands by his own lineman and Virginia Tech recovered. The Hokies accepted the gift by going in for another Williams touchdown to take their first lead of the game 21-20. D.J. Harper broke through the line on a third-and-1 on Boise State's next possession and outran the secondary for a 71-yard touchdown. The extra point was blocked but the Broncos led 26-21 with 5:38 left in the quarter.

Chris Hazley missed on a 51-yard field goal attempt for Virginia Tech, but Boise State was penalized for running into the kicker. The Hokies took advantage. On a fourth-and-4 from the 29, Taylor hit Jarrett Boykin, who eluded a tackler and galloped into the end zone to put Virginia Tech up 27-26. The Hokies' two-point conversion attempt failed.

The Broncos responded once again with a nice drive but a 30-yard field goal attempt was wide left. Hazley made good on his attempt from 34 yards on VT's next possession and the Hokies had a four-point lead 30-26. After the Broncos had to punt, Virginia Tech had 5 ½ minutes left but couldn't run out the clock. Boise State would have one more chance. And Moore and company came through.

All summer, the matchup was billed as one of the best college football games of the year. It lived up to that and more. Virginia Tech's Tyrod Taylor left it all on the field with a sensational night running and passing his team into the lead. Taylor passed for 186 yards and two touchdowns and scrambled for 73 yards on the evening. Moore finished the night 23-38 for 215 yards and three scores, two of them to Pettis.

The Broncos were able to extend their winning streak to 15 games and will play Wyoming in Laramie a week from Saturday.

Bronco Country Top Stories