The meeting was had

After attending BYU's camp last week, Servite High School athlete Jherremya Leuta-Douyere left Provo with a full-ride scholarship in hand. The plan? To return home, where his family and the family of teammate Butch Pau'u would meet to discuss their options. Well, that meeting has already taken place.

The day came when the Pau'u and Leuta-Douyere families met for a meeting. It's a classic Tongan family scenario where families will get together and discuss important matters in their lives and how to best approach them.

"It was a meeting between our parents," Leuta-Douyere said. "Me and Butch [Pau'u] stayed outside while they met and talked about our situation."

When the parents of Butch Pau'u and Jherremya Leuta-Douyere finished discussing the future of their sons, there were smiles to be had all the way around. During the meeting, Butch's father Uepi and mother Tupou further educated the Leuta-Douyere family on BYU, since they were not able to attend BYU's summer camp.

"I think the meeting went well," Leuta-Douyere said. "Everyone was happy and there were a lot of smiles. Butch's family was talking more with my family about the expectations, lifestyle and the kind of school BYU is. They informed my family about the positive things about going to BYU.

"It was basically about things that I already know about BYU because I've been there, but since they were there, Butch's parents mainly just told [my parents] about everything that happened while we were out there. They really liked what they were told."

Leuta-Douyere then met with his parents, and that's when he was informed on their thoughts concerning possibly making a commitment to BYU.

"I know my mom really likes it because my mom wants me to go to a school with a religious base like BYU," said Leuta-Douyere. "My dad really likes it too just because it's a school that will keep me focused and in the right direction. They're afraid that if I choose a different school, then I might not be going off to college for the right reasons.

"At other colleges, there are parties and things that distract you from moving forward. They feel that if I go to BYU, I would be further along in those things that matter most than those kids that don't go there."

So basically, the conclusion of the Pau'u and Leuta-Douyere meeting resulted in a positive go for BYU.

"Well, they're all for it," said a happy Leuta-Douyere about his and Butch Pau'u's parents. "We're just waiting for my mom to get more information to do things the right way."

So, there's one little hang-up before a final commitment is given. Mrs. Leuta-Douyere wants to find out one little bit of information before she signs off on her son committing to Coach Mendenhall.

"She wants to learn more about the offer and all that," Leuta-Douyere said. "She just wants to know more about some of the specifics of the offer. Things like what would happen if I got hurt, would I still have a scholarship to attend BYU if something like that happened. She's just concerned and wants to know things like that."

Once Leuta-Douyere's mother gets word from Coach Mendenhall that BYU won't pull her son's scholarship if he happens to suffer an injury, it appears things will be good to go.

"Then we can come up with the conclusion right there," he said. "I think it will be a conclusion that Coach Mendenhall would be happy about. Everyone seems to be on the same page right now."

So, it begs the question every BYU fan wants to have answered: When will Mrs. Leuta-Douyere call Coach Mendenhall?

"Probably here very soon," Leuta-Douyere said. "She got Coach Mendenhall's number from Coach Kaufusi, and so she just needs to give him a call maybe today or tomorrow."

Can BYU fans wait a little longer? Looks like they're going to have to, but the wait just might be well worth it.

Total Blue Sports Top Stories