BYU Running Back arrested in 2nd police incident

BYU running back <b>Naufahu Tahi</b> was arrested at 5:28 a.m. Wednesday morning following an early morning traffic accident by Provo police on University Avenue. He was charged with driving under the influence of drugs and for driving a vehicle without insurance, according to the Provo County Jail record obtained today by <b></b>

TBS Managing Editors TALO STEVES and BRANDON GURNEY contributed to this report.

The Provo County Jail record noted Tahi had left and right shoulder burns at the time of his arrest. Bail was set at $2,500 for driving without insurance plus another $1,300 for the DUI charge. Tahi posted bail through Utah Bail Bonds and was released at 7:41 a.m. yesterday.

Provo police spokesperson Karen Mayne said today their reports indicated Tahi was involved in a "traffic accident." She said a more detailed account was not available yet.

Family sources said Tahi's DUI arrest was related to the effects of prescription drugs he was taking under doctor's orders. The prescription was for his recent knee surgery.

Tahi was not available for comment today. Contacted at their family home, Tahi's step-mother said he and other family members were busy preparing pigs for Tahi's planned wedding tomorrow (Friday). He will be married in the Salt Lake Temple.

Other sources said Tahi told them he was up all night, busy with his wedding preparations. He had taken his medication earlier that morning and was driving to buy some food. He told them he fell asleep at the wheel and hit one or two unoccupied parked cars.

Tahi, 6' 0" and 230 pounds, is the projected back up to BYU's starting running back Marcus Whalen. He participated in spring practice and recently underwent arthroscopic knee surgery. He completed his LDS mission last fall.

Gary Crowton, BYU head football coach, released a short statement today saying "I am aware of the situation, as well as the circumstances pertaining to the incident. I have talked to Fahu regarding the matter, and we are working closely with the Honor Code office as they review the situation."

BYU athletic department sources also confirmed Tahi's DUI charge was related to prescribed medication he was taking. Tahi apparently went to coach Crowton and reported the arrest and the cause shortly after his release from the police station.

Jeff Reynolds, BYU's associate director for athletic media relations, told TBS he could not comment about any Honor Code related issues. He said Carrie Jenkins from the BYU University Relations office is the only person authorized to speak on behalf of the University regarding Honor Code issues. Jenkins was not immediately available for comment.

This is the second police incident involving Tahi in recent weeks. He was charged April 8 with assault for allegedly hitting a man outside a Provo movie theater in February.

In that case, he was charged in Provo City Municipal Court with one class A misdemeanor count of assault, stemming from a Feb. 12 incident, according to court documents.

Tahi pleaded not guilty when he appeared before Municipal Judge Joseph W. Anderson on April 17, who scheduled a pre-trial conference for June 12.

The BYU sophomore was charged with assaulting Michael Riffle, a Utah Valley State College student and member of the U.S. Army's Special Forces in Afghanistan. Riffle said he suffered a broken nose.

Tahi, accompanied by four BYU football players, was upset by Riffle's deliberate screams during the horror movie "The Ring." There are conflicting reports whether Tahi approached Riffle or whether Riffle's 15 friends surrounded Tahi's group after the movie.

Copyright © 2003

Total Blue Sports Top Stories