Pulaski Academy (AR) OL Caden Haws committed immediately to BYU after his offer was re-issued to him by Kalani Sitake

One of the top players in the state of Arkansas has committed to Kalani Sitake and BYU last weekend. Caden Haws came to Provo, Utah with the hope that a scholarship offer would be extended after that same scholarship was put in question due to the departure of the previous staff.

During his official visit to BYU Cougars, 6-2, 285-pound offensive lineman Caden Haws enjoyed his time on campus interacting with the recruits and discovering all the perks BYU has to offer. However, he did so while feeling a bit under the weather.

“It was really cool meeting everybody and talking with them about the different recruiting experiences they all had,” Haws said. “I didn’t get a chance to really go out much when I was there. I was sick so it was kind of bad timing. I went out and toured the facilities and everything, but when everyone went snowmobiling I went back to the hotel.”

The Haws family flew out from Arkansas late last Friday setting the timing of things back. On Saturday, with Caden Haws feeling a bit sick to his stomach, they decided to stay in his hotel room for the most part.

“We got in late on Friday. So, on Friday we went to dinner and went and hung out with our hosts and the other recruits that night,” said Haws. “Saturday morning we went and toured all the facilities and everything. Then they went to go snowmobiling and I just went back to my room. The recruits didn’t get back till 6:00 that night and went to dinner. I just stayed in the hotel and got up Sunday morning and met with Coach Sitake.”

That morning is when Caden Haws, who at one time had an offer from the old coaching staff under Bronco Mendenhall, learned he had an offer from the new staff.

Haws had received an offer from BYU under Coach Mendenhall. When Mendenhall left the program for the head coaching job at Virginia, Haws’ offer became null and void. When Kalani Sitake reaffirmed to Haws the new staff wanted him in the program, it was an exciting experience for him.

“Yeah, I was really excited about the whole thing,” said Haws. “I wasn’t too sure or not if I was going to end up with an offer. My dad was with me when I had my meeting with Coach Sitake. He was really excited too knowing that we don’t have to worry about where I’m going to go play.

“On Sunday morning when we all had individual meetings with Coach Sitake, he extended the offer. I was just kind of bummed that I didn’t get the whole official visit experience, but it’s okay because I got the offer and that’s what was most important. Coach Sitake was really excited when I committed right on the spot. I didn’t really give it any thought because I knew BYU is where I wanted to be.”

Total Blue Sports Top Stories