Heartbreak in Round of Eight

Despite a spirited comeback, the Cougar lacrosse team could not quite come up with the scores they needed to pull out their quarterfinal game against Florida State.

This game was tight the entire way. The level of physical play was much higher than Tuesday's game vs. Texas Tech. BYU middies and attackers were not able to find the seams in the FSU defence. The shots were coming in hard and fast, but after 3 periods, the Cougars found themselves two goals down 9-7. Coach Lamb was getting after his players at the half, telling them they looked anemic out there on the field.

The final period was rife with sloppy play on both sides. Florida State had several chances to work away the clock and control the game, but their inexperience allowed BYU to make several comebacks.

With less than 8 minutes left, BYU secured an EMO (think power play in ice hockey for you neophytes) after FSU gets whistled for pushing. Thirty seconds later attackman Mark Davis feeds midfielder Mark Tschagenny who rifled it in for the score. Unfortunately for BYU, they were not able to create any momentum, off the goal as FSUs Justin Campbell bumped a defender while rolling left for an easy shot to make it 10-8.

With just over four minutes remaining, BYU closed the gap on a Stevenson score. The sidelines by this time were electric as a slew of Seminole fans smelled blood all the while shouting "SUAP!" (Shut Up And Play!).

BYU called a timeout with just under 3 minutes remaining. FSU had possession behind BYU goal at the whistle. Rob Herzog quickly re-established control with an outstanding display as he rolled inside and whipped a one handed shot off the right pipe 11-9.

Again behind two goals with two minutes left, BYU was down but refused to buckle. Again Pete Stevenson scored for a chance to push it into overtime.

BYU won the final face-off, but quickly lost the ball. FSU after clearing it got in the box and called a timeout with under a minute to play. In spite of the lack of time, BYU had two opportunities to tie it up, but in the end weren't able to bring it home.

FSU Coach Bill Harkins was happy with the victory, but was well aware of what lay ahead. "We worked hard today," he said. "We made our share of mistakes, but we made up for them. I'm obviously glad we won, but as I told my team - We still have work to do."

BYU now will play in the consolation round to determine their final ranking in the tournament. It was a hard and unexpected way to go out.

Total Blue Sports Top Stories