It will be the first game of the season for both teams. Following the game, UCLA will head to Hawaii and play in the Maui Classic.
The Cougars conclude their exhibitions this Wednesday (7 p.m. tip-off) at the Marriott Center when they will host the University of Montevallo. The Division II school from Alabama is currently ranked second in the Division II rankings. They reached the Elite Eight and finished with a 29-5 record. Last week they lost to twelfth-ranked Alabama by just nine points.
- Effort and intensity were stressed repeatedly by the coaching staff. Several times the Brock game was referenced and the need to play all forty minutes.
- Getting back quickly on offense was also a matter of emphasis. Coach Rose would rather the team get up the floor quickly and look for an early/good shot than walk the ball up and run the offense.
- Vuk Ivanovic was the player of the practice. He scored 14 points over the three five-minute scrimmages that concluded practice. He was equally adept at scoring on Trent Plaisted and Fernando Malaman.
- There is still a lot of teaching going on. Coaches are instructing players on the fundamentals of sound basketball. They spend time each practice going over zone defense and offense, help-side defense when in man-to-man, how to come off screens and get a shot off, how to get around screens and double screens. Being strong with the ball (whether dribbling, holding, or moving with the ball) and not turning it over is constantly mentioned.
- Mike Rose could find an increased role this year. He is knocking it down every time he is given space. He has also been hustling more than last year.
- Lee Cummard was also feeling it during the middle of practice. At one stretch, he made eight straight shots.
- There are no injuries to report as every one was participating fully.
- UCLA game preparation is very prevalent. Nearly every drill was in preparation for that game. UCLA runs their plays this way or they play defense like this prefaced all instruction.
- Plaisted looks to have added to his offensive repertoire. He is making baskets with both hands.
- Last week, my report gave the impression that Austin felt that the football team was boring. Austin is a football fan and always cheers for the Cougars. He in no way feels that football is boring or that the team plays that way.
Get one year of Sports Illustrated magazine when you subscribe or upgrade to a TotalBlueSports.com annual Total Access Pass.
For a limited time any non-subscriber who signs up for a new annual Total Access Pass subscription, OR any monthly subscriber who upgrades to an annual Total Access Pass will also receive a one-year subscription (56 issues) to Sports Illustrated (a $39.95 value) and a $15 gift certificate to WhatIfSports.com. This is an incredible offer!!
Again, here's what you get:
- One year of access to TotalBlueSports.com and the entire Scout.com network
- One year (10 issues) of Total Blue Sports Magazine
- One year of Sports Illustrated
- $15 to use on WhatIfSports.com.
Click here to sign up on-line: Subscribe Securely Online,
Or call our customer service center at 888-501-5752 and ask how you can subscribe or upgrade to this terrific package.
For more on this offer click on the following link: