CUONZO MARTIN POSTGAME PRESS CONFERENCE VIDEO
BOULDER, Colo. (AP) -- Jordan Mathews scored 22 points and California stretched its winning streak to five with a 68-61 win at Colorado on Thursday night.
Tyrone Wallace's 5-foot jumper with 21 seconds left put Cal ahead 65-61 after the Buffs had used a 13-5 run to pull within two. Sam Singer then stole the ball at midcourt from Askia Booker and David Kravish was fouled and sank two free throws to seal it.
Mathews hit five 3-pointers as the Golden Bears (16-9, 6-6 Pac-12) snapped a six-game skid in Boulder, where they last won on Dec. 16, 1974.
The Buffaloes (11-12, 4-7), who were coming off a 28-point blowout to Utah, lost back-to-back home games for the first time under fifth-year coach Tad Boyle.
Mathews' first 3-pointer came during a run that put the Golden Bears ahead 26-20 before the Buffs pulled to 28-27 at halftime.
Mathews scored 14 of his points in the second half as the Golden Bears never succumbed to the altitude that usually bothers so many visitors.
Josh Scott led Colorado with 17 points in his second game back from a bad back that had sidelined him for eight of the previous nine games, but he had a big miss in the closing minutes.
Scott sank a pair of free throws with 2:11 left to pull Colorado to 63-58 and Booker's 3-pointer with 1:40 remaining made it a two-point game.
After Singer missed a wide-open 3-pointer from the right corner, Scott was open for a 15-footer to tie it, but the ball rattled out and Cal secured the rebound.
Wallace finished with 16 points and Kravish had 14. Booker scored 11 for Colorado.
• Mathews leads the Pac-12 with 37 3-pointers in league play. He's made at least one 3-pointer in 14 consecutive games.
• Seated behind the Golden Bears bench was Cal alum C.J. Anderson, coming off a breakout Pro Bowl year for the Broncos.
• Cal played without forward Christian Behrens, who was having his knee looked at for an issue unrelated to his two ACL surgeries.
• Colorado freshman Dominique Collier made his first career start, in place of Jaron Hopkins (ankle).
• This was the 11th different lineup Boyle has used this season.
• Colorado had been 9-0 at home under Boyle in games immediately following a loss at the Coors Events Center.
Bears Stretch Winning Streak to Five
BearTerritory.net Top Stories
FILM: Singleton, Robertson Put on a ShowBERKELEY -- Cal wide receivers Demetris Robertson, Brandon Singleton and Jordan Veasy turn in some big highlights during Tuesday's practice.
BearTerritory.netYesterday at 10:55 PM
BTTV: Practice UpdateUpdates on Cal practice from Memorial Stadium as Vic Wharton returns.
BearTerritory.netYesterday at 4:42 PM
Go Premium With BearTerritoryMany visitors are surprised with just how much they get with a BearTerritory.net subscription. Here's the low-down...
BearTerritory.netYesterday at 2:07 PM
Dykes: We Wore DownBERKELEY -- Cal head Coach Sonny Dykes says the Bears wore down in the second half against Arizona State.
BearTerritory.netYesterday at 1:52 PM