BERKELEY -- Cal head coach Sonny Dykes talks about the Bears' win over Texas, as well as Vic Enwere's inexplicable drop at the one-yard line.
- Evan Weaver, after getting pancaked by Texas's left tackle, came back three plays later on the Longhorns' first drive to cut Buechele in half for his first career sack.
- Kanawai Noa made his first career start.
- Punter Dylan Klumph, aside from the blocked punt, was masterful, with two of his five punts landing inside the 20, and one landing at the 10. His 64-yard punt late in the third quarter was a career-long. He finished with a 48.2-yard average.
- After piling up 68 points in the first half, Cal and the Longhorns were scoreless in the third quarter. The last time the Bears did not score in a quarter was against Oregon in the second quarter in 2015, snapping a streak of 28-straight quarters.
- Cal held Hawai'i scoreless in the second quarter earlier this season.
- Davis Webb's rushing touchdown with 10:39 left in the game was his second at Cal. He completed 27 of 40 passes for 396 yards and four touchdowns, giving him 13 touchdown passes in his first three games.
- Receiver Chad Hansen now has 40 catches for 546 yards in his first three games. He is the first ever Golden Bear to have at least 10 catches in three straight games. He's tallied at least 100 receiving yards each of his first three games, as well, and has scored multiple touchdowns twice. He now has five touchdowns on the season.
- With today's 50-43 win, the Bears have won the last two meetings against the Longhorns after Texas won the previous five meetings.
- This is Cal's first win over a ranked opponent since beating No. 25 UCLA in 2012. The 11th-ranked Longhorns are the highest-ranked opponent the Bears have beaten since then-No. 6 Cal beat then-No. 11 Oregon in 2007. The last time Cal beat a team ranked in the top-15 was the 2009 Big Game against No. 14 Stanford.
- Vic Enwere now has four career touchdowns against Texas. His only multi-rushing touchdown performances have come against Texas. They were his first two rushing touchdowns of the season and the 11th and 12th of his career. He ended the night with 18 carries for 110 yards and the two touchdowns. He added a career-high 54-yard run on the game's final drive.
- Cal won the turnover battle, 2-0, and owns a +3 margin on the season.
- Chibuzo Nwokocha caught his first career interception and Luke Rubenzer caught the third of his career, first of 2016. Rubenzer also has three turnovers gained on the season now with two fumble recoveries.
- Melquise Stovall and Jordan Veasy each caught their second touchdowns of the season. They each caught their first against Hawai'i.
- Stovall and Veasy also set season highs in catches and receiving yards. Stovall caught six passes for 75 yards, while Veasy hauled in three catches for 77 yards.
- Linebacker Ray Davison notched a career-high 12 tackles, and Marloshawn Franklin posted a season-best nine tackles and his first career sack. Khari Vanderbilt (10) and James Looney (9) also set career highs in tackles.
- The 68 combined points scored in the first half tied for second in school history with Cal vs. Pacific in 1991 for most points in any half. The school record is 82 (at Washington State, 2014, 2nd half).
Dykes on beating Texas: "Our schedule's tough. It's probably top-three in college football. I think Texas was ranked 12th [sic], and we'll play these kinds of teams pretty much week-in and week-out. We did what we needed to do to win. I think that gives you confidence."
Chad Hansen on his production: "It's just awesome. All my hard work has been paying off, and it may say that on the stat sheet, but this win is for the O-line. They protected Davis. They were able to do their job all night, and I was able to get open and do my job. All the credit goes to them, honestly."
Davis Webb on the run game: "We ran the ball better than w have all year, tonight, against a top-15, top-12 team. It's a good thing to pick up on, and we'll just keep moving forward."
Hansen on flashing the Horns Down hand sign: "Yeah, yeah. Me and my friends before the game got together and said that that might be something I'd want to do."
Dykes on the team's energy: "We didn't play particularly well last week, defensively. We gave up a lot of yards rushing. They showed up Sunday and went to work. We knew we had some issues that we needed to address, and we still do. We gave up a bunch of yards (307) rushing. It's pretty clear people are going to try to run the ball against us, but at the end of the game, we made the plays. We made the plays to give ourselves a chance to win."
Dykes on Hansen and Webb's connection: "Chad had a quiet 12 catches for 196 yards tonight (laughing). Kind of a disappointing game, because we're used to him catching 14 a game. It's confidence, really. It's confidence and belief in each other. Chad trusts Davis, where he's going to put the ball, and Davis trusts Chad to be in the right place at the right time. That's really a big part of what this game is all about, just developing that confidence. The way you get confident is you invest and you work incredibly hard. You know that that hard work makes you prepared. Then, when you get into a situation where you have an opportunity to make a play, you're ready to make it. That's really what confidence is. We talked to our guys about that all week. We said, 'We don't need anything superhuman. We just need to play well.' We told them that if we didn't turn the ball over, we'd win the game. I guess we were right."
Webb on the win: "This is a statement across this country. Cal has gone in there last year, and played a great game. Texas came all the way out here and we played a great game. Cal has done a great job through coach Dykes, who's implemented a great culture. That's the biggest reason why I came here, when I saw the practices in spring, and met all these players, you could tell the culture that coach Dykes instilled. I think it's a credit to him, and all of his plans have carried out pretty good."
On the energy (Hansen): "It's a home game. Our crowd was awesome. This is, it was rocking tonight, and we really felt that energy, and I think we fed off that, especially going into the fourth quarter. I think that really helped us."null