David Butler II-USA TODAY Sports

Cincinnati’s struggles to score touchdowns in the red zone cost them against the UConn Huskies.

Unable to run the football or put touchdowns on the scoreboard led to the Cincinnati Bearcats coming up short against the UConn Huskies 20-9 on Saturday. Tommy Tuberville and his team move to 3-3 on the season and are still looking for their first win in the American Athletic Conference this season.

For the first time this season, the Cincinnati Bearcats failed to score a touchdown against an opponent falling to UConn 20-9.  It also marks the third time this season Tommy Tuberville has seen his team fall in league play after holding a lead at the half.

Looking to get back on the winning side, Tuberville and his staff will leave Storrs, Connecticut with many questions on and off the field.

After both teams struggled in the first quarter, the Bearcats got on the board early in the second quarter when Josh Pasley hit a 25-yard field goal after the Bearcats drive stalled.  Bearcat fans had to feel good as the Bearcats intercepted the Huskies on their next drive but another failed drive saw Pasley hit a 43-yard field goal.

The Bearcats struggled all game running the football and had another scoring opportunity on their next drive but settled again for a Pasley 26-yard field goal and a 9-0 lead over the Huskies.

However, as Bearcat fans have seen all season long, turnovers have haunted the Red and Black and as the second quarter was coming to a close, Hayden Moore threw an interception and one play later Huskies quarterback Bry Shirreffs hit Tyraiq Beals for a 59-yard strike bringing Bob Diaco’s team within two at the half.

The Huskies came out following the half and controlled the game getting another Shirreffs touchdown strike when he hit Noel Thomas for a 26-yarder and then following with two Bobby Puyol field goals giving the home team Huskies the 20-9 win.

The Bearcats will have a week off before welcoming East Carolina into Nippert Stadium. 


Hayden Moore passed for 315 yards hitting on 29 of 56 attempted passes with no touchdowns and one interception.

Running backs Tion Green and Mike Boone combined for a total of 22-yards on 12 carries.

Devin Gray pulled down nine balls for 98-yards.

The Bearcats have now played six consecutive quarters without scoring a touchdown.  Four against UConn and two against USF.  The last time the Bearcats scored a touchdown came in the second quarter of the USF game.


Inside The Bearcats Top Stories