Tigers come to town and beat Bearcats on Senior Night, 34-7

The Cincinnati Bearcats faced American Athletic Conference foe the Memphis Tigers on Senior Night at Nippert Stadium. The Tigers didn’t allow the 17 seniors to go out like they expected on a nice Friday night in November.

The Cincinnati Bearcats welcomed the Memphis Tigers into Nippert Stadium on a warm Friday evening in November. It was unseasonably warm on Friday and it was Senior Night for the Bearcats. 17 seniors were honored before the game and it was very emotional for the leaders of this team.

Setting at 4-6 overall and 1-5 in the American Athletic Conference the Bearcats needed a win in the worst way to keep bowl eligibility alive. It didn’t start off well from the jump as Hayden Moore was intercepted twice in the first half and senior running back Tion Green fumbled early on. Long story short at halftime they were down 27-0 far from the shootout they had in Memphis last season that ended up 53-46 in Memphis’ favor. Only 99 total yards was gained on 33 plays, which is the story within the story.

The Bearcats went 13 quarters of football without scoring a touchdown and in the fourth quarter they broke that streak when Moore hit Devin Gray for a 10 yard strike. The one positive of the game is they scored a touchdown and if the game was only the third and the fourth quarter they could’ve went into overtime. Since the game was four quarters the Bearcats loss 34-7 and slip to 4-7 overall and 1-6 in the AAC. In Tommy Tuberville’s four year span with the program this is the first year they won’t be eligible for a bowl.

Senior running back Deionte Buckley had a career night with 49 yards rushing (led the team) and senior wide receiver Nate Cole led the team with receptions and yards (6 for 34 yards).  Senior’s Eric Wilson, Antonio Kinard and Zach Edwards led the team in tackles with 12, 9 and 11.

This is the last game at Nippert until next year, but the Bearcats have Tulsa next week.  

Inside The Bearcats Top Stories