Getting to know Bearcat opponent:
Texas Southern Tigers (3-4)
Head Coach: Tony Harvey, (10-29, 2nd season)
2009 Record: 7-25, (7-11) in SWAC (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
Key Players: Junior Forward Travele Jones 17.1 ppg, 6 rpg, Junior Guard Whitworth Treasure 16 ppg, Senior Guard DeAndre Hall, 13.9 ppg, 4.6 rpg., 2.7 apg, 2.3 spg
Five Things to Watch:
1. Tigers will not be shell shocked; they played a big school on the road at Colorado and lost by 11
2. Brian Harvey dismissed a top player from a year ago and discipline shouldn't be a problem
3. Texas Southern shoots 48 percent from field and 41 from 3, leading to a high powered attack that is averaging 73.7 ppg
4. Senior forward Onyekautukwu Abiakam averaging 5 rebounds and over 2 blocks in just 21 minutes per contest, but struggles with foul trouble
5. The Tigers average 16 Turnovers a game, Something the Bearcat defense could make the defense in the game
Key Matchups to Watch:
Cincinnati Perimeter Defense vs. DeAndre Hall
Hall is a 6'6 perimeter player who does a lot of things well, at Colorado earlier this season Hall scored 16 points, grabbed seven rebounds and had six assists.
Sophomore Yancy Gates vs. Travele Jones
Gates played the best basketball of his career in Maui, and no needs to prove he can bring that same intensity on a consistent basis against the lesser names in the country. Gates must attack Jones and force him to play defense and get him in foul trouble. Jones, when playing at least 30 minutes and not setting due to foul trouble is averaging over 21 points and seven rebounds per contest including 31 points and nine rebounds at Colorado and 25 points at North Colorado two nights later.
Keys for Bearcats
1. Continue to apply defensive pressure and cause the Tigers in to Turnovers.
2. Get off to fast start, Tigers confidence would build if they could fight off first surge, which also gets the Bearcats confidence way up and could decimate Tigers after what they saw in Maui.
3. Must Defend DeAndre Hall and make him work for every opportunity
4. Pound basketball inside and take advantage of Bearcats Offensive rebounding and Yancy Gates development
5. Keep Texas Southern from getting to offensive glass, as the Tigers average over 11 offensive rebounds per game
Cincinnati Leads All-Time Series: 2-0, UC won last match up in 2008 82-51