10th ranked Connecticut Huskies (9-2)
Head Coach: Jim Calhoun 814-344 38th season, 566-207 in 24th year at UCONN
2009 Record: 9-2
Five Things to Watch
1. UCONN averages 74.9 ppg and have four players averaging in double digits.
2. UCONN's only two losses came to Duke and Kentucky both top powers.
3. Cincinnati must get off to fast start to get the crowd into the game early.
4. The Huskies average over 41 rebounds per game, one rebound less then UC's 42.8, Battle of the boards will be on the big keys.
5. Connecticut plays things much different then Cincinnati, as the Huskies have five players who average over 29.4 minutes per game, UC's leader in Minutes is Lance Stephenson who averages 29.3.
Key Matchups to Watch
Team Defense vs. UCONN
Connecticut struggles shooting the basketball from the perimeter, UC must help and make the Huskies beat them from the outside.
Lance Stephenson vs. UCONN Defense
Stephenson's first Big East game comes against the tenth ranked team in the country, but for UC to have a chance to win Stephenson must step up his game to another level without playing outside of the system.
Deonta Vaughn vs. Deonta Vaughn
Deonta Vaughn is the senior leader on this club and he must step up from the perimeter and trust his shot. Against the Eagles, Vaughn shot the ball really well. Will he trust his jumper as he has passed up open looks in recent games?
Keys for Bearcats
1. Do not turnover basket and give Huskies easy buckets.
2. Use depth to advantage as UC has eleven players who average over nine minutes per contest, only eight players average that amount for UCONN.
3. Attack basket and get UCONN in foul trouble, to exploit the Bearcat depth advantage.
4. Keep UCONN off of offensive glass, Huskies average over 13 offensive rebounds per game.
UCONN Leads All-Time Series: 5-0, Last season UCONN defeated the Bearcats 82-71