South Florida Bulls
Head Coach: Stan Heath (32-47 at USF, 144-124 overall, 9th season)
2009 Record: 11-6, 1-4 in Big East
Five Things to Watch:
1. Bulls just broke a four game losing streak, snapped when the Bulls beat Rutgers on Saturday.
2. USF struggles to score has they currently sit 15th in the conference in scoring at 67.2 ppg, only DePaul is lower.
3. The Bearcats have been really good at home losing only once, against Pittsburgh.
4. USF is 15th in the conference in three point shooting, only Cincinnati is worse then there 30.7 percent. Cincinnati sits at 28.1 percent from behind the arc
5. USF is 13th in the conference in rebounding one of Cincinnati's biggest strengths
Key Matchups to Watch:
Lance Stephenson vs. Dominique Jones
Dominique Jones at 6'4 is USF do it all guard and runs the show for the Bulls. Lance Stephenson has the size and athleticism to slow down the junior guard, he just has to commit to the defensive end of the floor.
Gilchrist and Famous averaged a combined 29.8 points and 15.3 rebounds per contest down low for the Bulls. Gates, Thomas, and Toyloy must match the intensity down low and control the paint for Cincinnati. The Bulls aren't deep on the frontline, so the Bearcats need to get Gates touches down low to try to get the Bulls in foul trouble.
Keys for Bearcats
1. Cincinnati is third in the Big East in rebounding, South Florida is 13th. Cincinnati must own the boards to win this game.
2. Get off to a fast start and rattled the Bulls who have lost four of there last five contests.
3. USF is also 15th in the conference in assists, show them they are willing to use there teammates by helping defensively.
4. Must slow down Dominique Jones who is third in the Big East conference in scoring, make him give up basketball by helping and make his teammates beat you.
5. Patience offensively will be key, no quick shots force USF to play defense and wear them down as USF has four players who average over 30 minutes per contest.
Cincinnati Leads All-Time Series: 20-6 UC, UC also holds a 12-1 against USF at home. Last season USF beat Cincinnati 70-59 at South Florida.