Clemson team notes
* After scoring in the third quarter of today's game, Clemson has now scored in 22
consecutive quarters, a Clemson record for consecutive quarters scored. Clemson did
not score in the fourth quarter so the streak ended at 22. The previous record came
in 1983 when Clemson scored in 20 consecutive quarters. That streak was also ended
by North Carolina. In fact now four of the top five streaks for consecutive
quarters scored have been ended by the Tar Heels.
* Clemson scored 35 points in the third quarter of today's game. That is most points
scored in any quarter since Halloween in 1981 when Clemson scored 35 points in the
second quarter against Wake Forest. It is also tied for the most points scored in
any quarter in Clemson history. Ironically, the 1981 Clemson team was honored at
halftime of today's game.
* Clemson's 59 points today tied for the second-most in Clemson history for an ACC
game. In 2001, Clemson also scored 59 points against Duke. The Clemson record for
points in an ACC game is 82 against Wake Forest in 1981.
* Clemson is now 35-19-1 all-time against North Carolina, including an 18-7 record
at Clemson. The Tigers have won six of the last eight in the series, including
three straight wins at home against the Tar Heels.
* Clemson has now scored at least 50 points in back-to-back games for the first time
since 2006. That season, Clemson scored 52 points against North Carolina and then
scored 51 points against Louisiana Tech the following week.
* Clemson has now scored at least 50 points against two ACC teams this season. It is
the first time since 2000 that the Tigers have scored at least 50 points against two
ACC teams in the same season. That year, Clemson scored 55 points against Wake
Forest and then scored 52 points two weeks later against Duke. This is the first
time Clemson has scored at least 50 points in consecutive ACC games.
* Clemson forced six turnovers in today's game. That is most turnovers forced by the
Tigers in a single game since 2004 when they forced six turnovers against N.C.
* Five different Clemson players caught a touchdown pass in today's game. That ties
a Clemson single game record with five different players catching a touchdown pass.
The Tigers also accomplished that feat in 2007 when five different players caught a
touchdown pass against Louisiana Monroe.
* Clemson held North Carolina to just two for 12 on third-down conversions in
today's game. That is the fewest third-down conversions by a Clemson opponent since
2009 when Boston College went one of 12 on third-down conversions.
* Clemson has now scored at least 35 points in seven of the eight games this season.
The Tigers have already established a Clemson season mark for games scoring at
least 35 points. Clemson did it six times in 2000, 2007 and 2009.
*Clemson has now scored 115 points over the last two games, the most points Clemson
has scored in consecutive games since 2000 when the Tigers scored 62 against
Missouri and 55 against Wake Forest for 117 total in consecutive games.
Clemson Player Notes
* Kourtnei Brown recorded the first interception of his career in the second quarter
and returned it 20 yards for a touchdown. He is the first Clemson defensive lineman
since 2006 to score a touchdown. That year, Jock McKissic intercepted a pass against
South Carolina and returned it 82 yards for a touchdown.
* Brown then recovered a fumble in the third quarter and returned it 26 yards for
his second touchdown of the game. Brown is the first Clemson defensive player to
score two touchdowns in a game since 1954 when Walt Laraway scored on a blocked punt
and an interception return against the Citadel. Players went both ways in those
days, so Brown is the first to do it in the two-platoon era (1964).
* Tajh Boyd tied a Clemson record with a career-high five touchdown passes in
today's game. Cullen Harper threw for five touchdowns twice in 2007 against
Louisiana Monroe and Central Michigan.
* Boyd also scored his third rushing touchdown of the season and the fifth of his
career in the third quarter. With that touchdown, Boyd was responsible for six
touchdowns in today's game. That ties Woody Dantzler's record for touchdown
responsibility when he was responsible for six touchdowns against N.C. State in
* Boyd finished today's game 27 for 46 with 367 yards passing and five touchdowns.
Boyd also rushed 11 times for 8 yards and one touchdown. Boyd has now thrown for at
least 200 yards in every game this season and has thrown for at least 300 yards
three times this season. Boyd has also thrown for at least three touchdown passes in
six of the eight games this season.
* Boyd has now thrown at least one touchdown pass in every game this season, giving
him a touchdown pass in nine straight games dating to last year. He already had the
school record in that area entering today.
*Boyd threw for 367 yards today, the fourth highest total in Clemson history. He
now has two of the top four games in Clemson history. He had 386 in the win over
Auburn earlier this season. The record is 420 by Charlie Whitehurst in 2002 against
*Boyd now has 24 touchdown passes, the second highest total in school history. The
record is 27 by Cullen Harper in 2007.
* DeAndre Hopkins had nine receptions for 157 yards and a touchdown today. It was a
career high in reception yards and the sixth most reception yards in a game in
school history. This Clemson team now has two different players with a 150-yard
receiving game, a first in school history. Sammy Watkins is the other.
* Dwayne Allen added six catches for 51 yards and a touchdown. Allen had seven
receptions for 55 yards against North Carolina last season giving him 13 receptions
for 106 yards and a touchdown in two career games against the Tar Heels.
* Brandon Ford caught his first touchdown reception of the season and the third of
his career in the third quarter. It was fitting that a Clemson player named Ford
scored a touchdown on the day Clemson honored its 1981 National Championship team
and head coach Danny Ford.
* Sammy Watkins scored the ninth touchdown of the season in the third quarter of
today's game. His nine touchdowns moves him into sole possession of third place in
Clemson history for touchdown receptions in a season, regardless of class.
* Watkins's touchdown catch was his eighth reception of the game and gave him 54
catches on the season, which is a Clemson record for receptions by a freshman. The
previous record was 53 by Derrick Hamilton in 2001.
*Entering next Saturday's game with Georgia Tech, Watkins needs 35 receiving yards,
five receptions and one touchdown reception to establish ACC freshman records in all
* Watkins nine touchdown receptions this season is tied for an ACC record for
touchdowns receptions in a season by a freshman. Greg Carr of Florida State (2005)
and Heath Miller of Virginia (2002) also had nine receptions as a freshman.
NOTES: Tigers blow away Heels
CUTigers.com Top Stories
5-25 RECRUITING RADARIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comThursday at 10:24 AM
5-17 RECRUITING RADARIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
BEER & SALAMI: THE SEQUELTrailing 8-7 in the 8th, Reed Rohlman was intentionally walked to load the bases for Clemson National Player of the Year Seth Beer, and he delivered with his second grand slam of…
5-10 RECRUITING RADAR - THE OPENINGIn this week's edition of the Radar, CUTigers.com Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel travels to Charlotte to bring you comprehensive coverage of Nike's The Opening, where Clemson…