Clemson Team Notes
* Chandler Catanzaro made a game-winning field goal as time expired to beat Wake
Forest 31-28. It is the first time since 2007 that the Tigers have won on a
last-second field goal. That season, Mark Buchholz kicked a 35-yard field goal as
time expired at South Carolina to beat the Gamecocks 23-21. This is also the first
time since 1948, when the stat began being tracked, that Clemson has won at home on
a field goal as time expired.
* Clemson now holds a 59-17-1 record all-time against Wake Forest, including a 35-7
record at Clemson. The Tigers have also now won three straight against the Demon
Deacons and 10 of the last 13 against Wake Forest.
* Clemson will finish the season with a perfect 7-0 record at home. It is the first
time since 1990 that the Tigers have achieved a perfect record at home. That season,
Clemson went 6-0 in Death Valley.
* With seven wins at home this season, it is just the second time that Clemson has
won seven home games in a season. In 1987, Clemson went 7-1 at home. Therefore,
today's victory gives Clemson its first 7-0 home record in history.
* Today's victory marks the seventh time in school history that Clemson has clinched
an ACC Championship or a division title with a win at Clemson. In 2009, Clemson
defeated Virginia, 34-21, to win the Atlantic Division title and advance to the ACC
* Wake Forest kicker Jimmy Newman's missed field goal in the second quarter was the
first missed field goal by an opposing kicker against Clemson this season. Entering
today, opposing kickers were 10-for-10 against the Tigers. Clemson was the only team
in the country that had not had an opponent miss a field goal this season. Newman
went on to miss another kick in the fourth quarter, so opposing kickers have missed
two in a row after making 10 straight.
* Clemson finished today's game with 522 yards of total offense. The Tigers are now
57-0-1 when gaining at least 500 yards of total offense.
*Entering this season, Clemson had overcome a deficit of 14 points or more to gain
victory just nine times. Clemson has now done it three times this year. The win over
Auburn at Clemson, at Maryland and now today.
Clemson Player Notes
* With his second reception of the game in the second quarter, Sammy Watkins became
just the fourth player in Clemson history to tally 1000 receiving yards in a single
season. Aaron Kelly was the last Clemson player to accomplish the feat when he
recorded 1081 receiving yards in 2007. The only other Clemson player to record 1000
receiving yards is Rod Gardner, who did so twice. In 1999, he the Clemson single
record for receiving yards with 1084 and then record 1050 receiving yards the
following year in 2000.
* Watkins finished the game with five receptions for 62 yards, two rushes for 32
yards and four kickoff returns for 103 yards giving him 197 all-purpose yards for
* Jaron Brown recorded a career-high six receptions for 78 yards and one touchdown.
Ironically, his previous career-high in receptions came against Wake Forest in 2010
when he caught five passes.
* Andre Ellington rushed the ball 25 times for 98 yards giving him 2,020 rushing
yards for his career. Ellington also scored two touchdowns, giving him nine for the
season. In addition, Ellington had three receptions for 42 yards giving him 140
all-purpose yards for the game.
* Tajh Boyd completed 27 of 43 passes for 343 yards. Boyd now has 3,017 passing
yards for the season. Boyd also threw for two touchdowns giving him 27 for the
season, which ties Cullen Harper's record of 27 touchdown passes in a season (2007).
* Dwayne Allen caught four passes for 48 yards in today's game, all coming in the
fourth quarter. With the 48 yards, Allen has 518 receiving yards this season, a
Clemson record for receiving yards in a season by a tight end. The previous record
was 507 by Michael Palmer in 2009.
* Adam Humphries had three receptions for 24 yards, both career highs.
* After Clemson's opening drive, Landon Walker became just the fifth player in
Clemson history to record at least 2800 snaps for his career. He joins Kyle Young,
Glenn Rountree, Charlie Whitehurst and Eric Harmon as the only other Clemson players
to play at least 2800 snaps in a career.
* When Chad Diehl played in today's game, he tied the Clemson record for games
played in a career with 53.
NOTES: Tigers rally past Deacs
CUTigers.com Top Stories
RECRUITING RADARIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comThursday at 2:18 AM
Pagano to TransferAfter helping Clemson win a National Championship and earning his degree, Scott Pagano has decided it is time for him to move on.
TIGERS TAKE A W FROM WAKEAfter back-to-back heartbreaking losses to Syracuse and Duke, the Tigers built a 21-point lead on Wake Forest and won by 12 to complete the season sweep of the Deacs and keep their…
DEJA BLUEFor the second straight game, Clemson had the lead or a chance to win on the final possession of the game and came up just short. This time, it was against #18 Duke in the most…
NATIONAL SIGNING DAY HQKeep it right here for all of the latest developments on National Signing Day in Clemson!