The resolution recognizes the many accomplishments the team achieved this year:
* Winning the national championship by two strokes;
* Becoming the first golf team in NCAA history to win its conference championship, an NCAA regional title, and the National
Championship in the same year;
* Starting and finishing the year ranked number one in the nation;
* Winning 93 percent of their matches against teams ranked in the top 25;
* Players D.J. Trahan, Jack Ferguson, and Matt Hendrix were honored as All-Americans for 2002-2003;
* Head Coach Larry Penley won the Dave Williams Award as the National Coach of the Year as selected by the Golf Coaches
"We're all very proud of these young men and Coach Penley," said Graham. "They have represented Clemson and the state of South Carolina well. The dedication, teamwork and sportsmanship they have demonstrated throughout the year set a high standard we should all strive to achieve."
Graham also noted that all members of the team who participated in the National Championship are native-born South Carolinians.
The resolution extends an invitation to the team to visit the U.S. Capitol Building to be honored in Washington.
U.S. Rep. Gresham Barrett (R-Westminster) has introduced a similar resolution in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Resolution Honoring Golf Team Passes U.S. Senate
CUTigers.com Top Stories
TIGERS WIN 7-2, SWEEP C OF C!Reed Rohlman is 10 of his last 13 and upped his average to .413, going 3-3 with a HR, two doubles and a HBP, as #3 Clemson cruised past Monte Lee's alma mater, College of…
CUTigers.comYesterday at 7:40 PM
TIGERS WIN 11-0 TO TAKE SERIES!Alex Eubanks struck out 12 and walked none in a 116-pitch, complete-game 11-0 shutout of #17 Wake Forest in the first half of a doubleheader, putting #3 Clemson in position for…
CUTigers.comSaturday at 2:30 PM
SWEPT UGAIN!Tyler Jackson allowed just one earned run, and Chris Williams broke the game open with a 3-run homer to lead #3 Clemson to a 9-7 win over UGA for the season sweep!
ANOTHER 11TH INNING WALK-OFF WIN FOR TIGERS!#4 Clemson beat Charleston Southern 6-5 for its second 11-inning win of the season in walk-off fashion, thanks to the bull pen, Logan Davidson, Reed Rohlman and Rudy Cox, who…