The resolution recognizes the many accomplishments the team achieved this year:
* Winning the national championship by two strokes;
* Becoming the first golf team in NCAA history to win its conference championship, an NCAA regional title, and the National
Championship in the same year;
* Starting and finishing the year ranked number one in the nation;
* Winning 93 percent of their matches against teams ranked in the top 25;
* Players D.J. Trahan, Jack Ferguson, and Matt Hendrix were honored as All-Americans for 2002-2003;
* Head Coach Larry Penley won the Dave Williams Award as the National Coach of the Year as selected by the Golf Coaches
"We're all very proud of these young men and Coach Penley," said Graham. "They have represented Clemson and the state of South Carolina well. The dedication, teamwork and sportsmanship they have demonstrated throughout the year set a high standard we should all strive to achieve."
Graham also noted that all members of the team who participated in the National Championship are native-born South Carolinians.
The resolution extends an invitation to the team to visit the U.S. Capitol Building to be honored in Washington.
U.S. Rep. Gresham Barrett (R-Westminster) has introduced a similar resolution in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Resolution Honoring Golf Team Passes U.S. Senate
CUTigers.com Top Stories
ACC CHAMPIONSHIP POST-GAME INTERVIEWSWatch Dabo Swinney, Deshaun Watson and more Clemson coaches and players discuss their second consecutive ACC Championship on Saturday night!
CUTigers.comYesterday at 11:18 AM
PLAYOFF REPEAT FOR TIGERS#2 Clemson will join Alabama as the only two programs to make repeat trips to the College Football Playoff.
CUTigers.comYesterday at 10:10 AM
ANOTHER CLEMSON CHAMPIONSHIP!!!#3 Clemson held on to beat #23 Virginia Tech 42-35 for its first back-to-back ACC Titles in 28 years.
CUTigers.comSaturday at 11:52 PM
ACC CHAMPIONSHIP PRESS CONFERENCEWatch Dabo Swinney's Press Conference Prior to the ACC Championship Game Between #3 Clemson and #23 Virginia Tech!
CUTigers.comSaturday at 9:38 AM