* The Tigers have won five of the last six in the series. Clemson has scored at least 50 points in each the last three meetings played at Clemson in the series.
* The Tigers have scored at least 50 points in each of their last four homes games,
dating to last season. They have outscored their opponents 230-79 in those four
* Clemson improved to 74-0-1 all-time when totaling at least 500 yards of total
* Clemson won for just the fifth time in 17 tries when starting a true-freshman
quarterback. Watson is the first true-freshman quarterback to record a win in his
first career start.
* The Tigers held their opponent to less than 100 rushing yards for the third
straight game. Clemson has surrendered a total of 104 rushing yards in its last
* Clemson and North Carolina combined for 85 points. That is the third-most combined
points in a game by the Tigers and Tar Heels in series history. The last matchup
between the two, in 2011, produced a combined 97 points, the most in the history of
* The Tigers have now won their last six games against teams from the state of North
Carolina and 10 of their last 11 against Tar Heel State teams overall. Clemson will
have an opportunity to extend the streak next week when it hosts NC State.
* Clemson scored exactly 50 points in a game for the first time in school history.
* Deshaun Watson threw for six touchdowns in his first career start. Watson is the
first quarterback in Clemson history to throw six touchdowns passes in a game. He is
also the first freshman quarterback in ACC history to throw for six touchdowns.
* Watson earned a win in his first career start tonight. Six of the last seven
Clemson quarterbacks have earned a win in their first career starts.
* Watson has now thrown for 914 yards and 10 touchdowns this season, both season
bests by a true freshman. The previous records were 750 passing yards and five
touchdowns by Willie Jordan in 1975.
* Vic Beasley recorded two sacks to give him 27 for his career. He moves in to sole
possession of third place in Clemson history for career sacks. He is just one shy of
the Clemson career record of 28, set by Michael Dean Perry and Gaines Adams.
* Mike Williams also passed the century mark with a career-high 122 receiving yards
on a career-high six receptions and two touchdowns, his first two of the season. It
was the first time in his career that he had more than one touchdown reception in a
* Robert Smith recorded his first interception of the season and the third of his
career in the fourth quarter. The safety was also credited with five tackles in the
* Artavis Scott recorded a career-high eight receptions for 66 yards and one touchdown.
* Jayron Kearse led the Tigers with 10 tackles. A different Tiger defender has led
the team in tackles in all four games this season.
NOTES: Tigers tame Tar Heels
CUTigers.com Top Stories
RECRUITING RADARIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comMonday at 5:24 AM
TIGERS REMAIN #3 AND #5 IN POLLS#3 Clemson is 4-0 (1-0 ACC) headed into a showdown with #4 Louisville in Death Valley.
ATLANTA CURSE BROKEN#3 Clemson dominated Georgia Tech from beginning to end on Thursday night and ended a 5-game losing streak to the Yellow Jackets in Atlanta.
CUTigers.comFriday at 8:24 AM
WHAT WE ARE HEARING#3 Clemson is coming off a dominant 59-0 win over SC State and opens ACC play against interdivisional rival Georgia Tech in Atlanta on Thursday night.
CUTigers.comThursday at 5:21 AM
DABO TUESDAY PC AND WEST ZONE INTERVIEWSWatch Dabo Swinney, Brent Venables and Clemson players discuss their upcoming ACC opener at Georgia Tech on Thursday night in Atlanta.
CUTigers.comTuesday at 10:31 AM