Clemson Team Notes
* Clemson shut out its opponent for the first time since 2008, when the Tigers defeated SC State 54-0. It was Clemson’s first shutout over an FBS opponent since 2006, when it held Louisiana Tech scoreless. It was also the Tigers’ first shutout over an ACC opponent since 1998, when they defeated Maryland 23-0.
* The Tigers’ 41-point margin of victory was the largest in the history of the Clemson-NC State series (by either team).
* Clemson improved to 54-28-1 all-time against NC State, including a 24-11 mark at Clemson. The Tigers have now won three straight against the Wolfpack and 10 of the last 11.
* Clemson has now won seven straight games against teams from the state of North Carolina and 11 of its last 12.
* Clemson’s defense surrendered just 156 yards of total offense. That is the fewest yards of total offense against the Tigers by an ACC opponent since 2009, when Clemson held Boston College to 52 total yards. NC State entered the game averaging 505.6 yards of total offense and 40.4 points per game. NC State’s longest play of the game was an 18-yard pass play.
* The Tigers also held the Wolfpack to just 35 passing yards. That is the fewest passing yards Clemson has allowed against an ACC opponent since 2009, when Clemson held Boston College to just 25 passing yards. NC State entered the game averaging 274.4 passing yards per game.
* Clemson held NC State to just four yards of total offense in the first quarter. That is the fewest total yards allowed by Clemson in a quarter since the second quarter against Florida State in 2014, when the Tigers held the Seminoles to -6 yards of total offense.
* Clemson has scored a touchdown on its opening drive in four of its five games this season. Conversely, Clemson’s defense has held its opponent to zero or negative yards of offense on the opening drive of each game this season.
* Clemson improved to 65-0-1 all-time when recording at least 200 passing yards and 200 rushing yards.
Clemson Individual Notes
* Vic Beasley tied the Clemson career sack record in the third quarter when he recorded his seventh sack of the season and the 28th of his career. Beasley joins Michael Dean Perry and Gaines Adams as the only players in Clemson history to record at least 28 sacks.
* On the same play, Beasley hit the quarterback on the play to force a fumble and then returned it 16 yards for the touchdown. It was Clemson’s first fumble return for a touchdown since last season, when Quandon Christian returned one 22 yards for a score against The Citadel.
* Deshaun Watson compiled 329 yards of total offense was responsible for four touchdowns in the game, two passing and two rushing. He has totaled 792 yards of total offense, including 702 passing, in his two starts this season.
* Watson is just the second Clemson first-year freshman quarterback to win at least two games as a starter. Nealon Greene won two of the five games that he started as a first-year freshman in 1994.
* Deshaun Watson is the first Tiger to rush for two touchdowns in a game since Roderick McDowell scored two against Maryland last season. He is also the first quarterback to rush for two touchdowns since Tajh Boyd had two against Georgia last season.
* On his 20th birthday, Mike Williams hauled in the longest reception of his career, a 56-yard touchdown from Deshaun Watson in the first quarter. He then scored on a 31-yard touchdown reception on the following drive. He now has back-to-back games with multiple touchdown receptions for the first time in his career. Williams had three touchdowns all of last season and now has four over his last two games. He finished the game with six catches for a career-high 155 yards.
* Ammon Lakip made two field goals from distances of 31 yards and 43 yards. The first-year starter is now 7-8 on field goals at home this season.
* Wayne Gallman had 13 carries for 58 yards, while Adam Choice carried the ball nine times for 56 yards. Three freshmen, Gallman, Choice and Deshaun Watson, combined for 37 rushes for 176 yards.
NOTES: Clemson pounds N.C. State
CUTigers.com Top Stories
RECRUITING RADARIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comMonday at 5:53 PM
ACC Football Roundup: Week 5 Top StoriesAll you need to know about ACC teams leading into Week Five of the college football season.
WHAT WE ARE HEARINGACC Atlantic foes Clemson and Louisville are each ranked #3 in the polls and will clash in Death Valley with the division title and a spot in the College Football Playoff on the…
Inside the Matchup: Louisville vs ClemsonIt's a top 5 matchup from Death Valley.
Scout CFBYesterday at 12:00 PM