The Clemson Tigers (6-2) host the Alabama Crimson Tide (5-2) on Sunday. Clemson is coming off a 66-51 win over Wofford last Sunday. Alabama has won their last three games, including ranked wins over No. 17 Notre Dame (74-73) and No. 20 Wichita State (64-60).
Clemson projected starters:
- PG Avry Holmes
- SG Jordan Roper
- SF Donte Grantham
- PF Jaron Blossomgame
- C Landry Nnoko
The Tigers and Crimson Tide last played in 2008, as Clemson completed a home-and-home sweep at Littlejohn Coliseum. The Tigers lead the series history 5-3.
Jordan Roper's 31:3 assist-turnover ratio through 8 games currently leads the NCAA.
Alabama has two players averaging double-figure scoring; Shannon Hale (13.0 points) and Retin Obasohan (12.9 points). The Crimson Tide recently lost freshman guard Dazon Ingram for the season with a fractured foot.
Alabama is coached by Avery Johnson, former Dallas Mavericks head coach (2005-08). His team made an NBA Finals appearance in 2006.
Watch: The game is being televised on ESPNU on Sunday at 6:00 PM ET.
• The Tigers face Southeastern Conference opponents in three of their next four games, with tilts against South Carolina (Dec. 18) and Georgia (Dec. 22) concluding the non-conference portion of the schedule. Clemson was 3-1 against SEC teams last season.
• Clemson holds winning records against four SEC programs in its history — Alabama, Florida, Mississippi and Mississippi State. Clemson won in Coleman Coliseum on New Year’s Day in 2008, and again on Jan. 6, 2009 most recently.
• The Tigers are among the ACC’s top three in some key statistics, including three-pointers per game (9.1), assists per game (16.1), assist-turnover ratio (1.7), scoring defense (59.6) and defensive rebound percentage (.772).
• Clemson is coming off arguably its top defensive effort of the season in a 66-51 win over Wofford on December 6. The Tigers held Wofford to season lows of 16 field goals and a 34 percent shooting mark.
• Jaron Blossomgame is among the ACC’s top 10 in scoring at 18.5 points per game, while ranking fourth in field goal percentage (.596). Blossomgame is 26 rebounds shy of becoming Clemson’s 30th player in history with at least 700 points and 500 career rebounds. Devin Booker was the most recent to do it.
• Avry Holmes made just three of his first 11 three-point attempts at Clemson, but has since gone 14-27 (.519) as he has settled into his new home.