* Clemson and North Carolina combined for 1023 yards of total offense in today's game. That was just the seventh game in Clemson history in which the two teams combined for over 1000 yards. It was the third most combined yards in a Clemson game in history. The record is 1107 by Clemson and Wake Forest in 1981. Clemson and Florida State combined for 1033 yards in the 2000 game in Tallahassee.
* Clemson forced a season high four turnovers in today's game and did not commit one on offense for a +4 turnover margin. Clemson entered the
game 106th in the nation in forcing turnovers with just eight caused in the first seven
games. Clemson has now forced 12 turnovers in eight games this year. North Carolina had committed just 13 turnovers all year coming into today's game. North Carolina had thrown just four interceptions all year, but threw
three against Clemson today. Jamaal Fudge and Leroy Hill both had their first career
interceptions, while Justin Miller had his first this season.
* It was ironic that Clemson won this game on a forced fumble. Clemson had forced just four lost opponent fumbles all season entering today's game.
* Today's game ended in the reverse of the 1998 Clemson vs. North Carolina game in Chapel Hill. Clemson trailed North Carolina 21-14 in the final minutes before Clemson fumbled the ball into the North Carolina endzone where a
North Carolina player recovered for a touchback. The Tar Heels ran out the
clock to gain a seven-point win.
* Justin Miller recorded his first interception of the year, a 30-yard return of a Darian Durrant pass. Miller led the ACC in interceptions last year as a freshman with eight. The 30-yard return was the longest of his career.
* Derrick Hamilton had a 100-yard kickoff return for a touchdown, in the third period. It was his second 100-yard return of his career. He had one at Maryland in 2001. The kickoff return was the longest by a Clemson player in the
history of Death Valley (since 1942). The previous record was a 98-yard return by Hal Davis against Duke in 1962. It was the fifth play of at least 100 yards in Clemson history, the third on a kickoff return.
* Hamilton's touchdown return ties him Doug Thomas for the Clemson career record for kickoff returns for touchdown in a career with two. Clemson has had five plays of 100 yards or more in its history and Hamilton has two of them.
* Hamilton had 102 yards receiving and 100-yards in kickoff returns. It marked just the second time in Clemson history that a Tiger had 100
yards receiving and 100 yards in kickoff returns in the same game. Tony Horne did it
against Florida State in 1997.
* Hamilton had 212 all-purpose running yards in today's game and now has 4155 for his career. He became the third Clemson player in history to reach the 4000-yard all-purpose running mark with his performance today. He now needs just 237 yards to break Travis Zachery's record of 4391 set between 1998-2001.
* Chad Jasmin was not a victim of the Clemson football program cover jinx. The senior was on the cover of the game program and responded with 17 carries for 81 yards. It was his most yards ever in a game in Death Valley. The 81
yards were his second most in a game in his Clemson career. He had 83 yards rushing in the Humanitarian Bowl against Louisiana Tech at the end of the 2001 season.
* Duane Coleman had a career high 111 yards rushing in today's game on 13 carries. He also added 4-48 on receptions, giving him 159
all-purpose yards. He had a 70-yard reception called back in the first quarter when it was
ran out of bounds before catching the ball. No Clemson player in
had a 100-yard rushing day and 100-yard receiving day in the same game.
* Coleman's day included a 50-yard run, the longest run of the season by
a Clemson running back. Derrick Hamilton had a 52-yard run on a reverse against Virginia two weeks ago. Coleman's run was the longest by a Clemson back since Travis Zachery had a 52-yard run against Duke in the final regular season game of 2001.
* Coleman's 111-yard day was the first 100-yard rushing game by a Clemson
running back this year. In fact, Clemson has had just three 100-yard
games in the last two years and all three have come against North
Tye Hill and Bernard Rambert both ran for 100 yards against the Tar
year and that was it for the season.
* Clemson had 219 yards rushing and 309 yards passing in today's game for
total. That was a season high for the Tigers and the most for Clemson
the Tigers gained 530 against North Carolina last year.
* Clemson went over the 200 yard mark in both rushing and passing in
game, the 42nd time in school history Clemson has had at least 200 of
the same game. Clemson is now 41-0-1 in those games in its history. It
the 15th time Clemson has had at least 200 of each under Tommy Bowden.
marked just the fourth game in Clemson history in which Clemson had 300
passing and 200 yards rushing in the same game.
* Clemson is now 18-1 under Tommy Bowden in games in which is rushes for
least 200 yards.
* Charlie Whitehurst threw for 309 passing yards in today's game, his
300-yard game of the season and fourth of his career. He has tied
Streeter for most career 300-yard passing games in Clemson history.
four between 1996-99.
* Leroy Hill had two tackles for loss in today's game and now has 20 for
season. He was leading the nation in that category heading into today's
Hill also caused a fumble and had his first career interception.
* Clemson plackicker Aaron Hunt had a 3-3 day on field goals, including a
41-yarder with no time left in the first half. Hunt is now 6 of 6
over his last
two games and is 9-14 for the season. Hunt scored 12 points today and
needs just 19 points to become Clemson's all-time leading scorer. Hunt
for his career and the record is 301 by Nelson Welch (1991-94). He
now has 46
career field goals, just one less than David Treadwell had between 1985-87.
Hunt is now fifth in Clemson history in career field goals.
* Senior walk-on Joshua Smith made his first appearance ever in a Clemson
today as the snapper. Regular snapper Geoff Rigsby was ill today and
handled the first two extra point snaps. Smith, who is nicknamed "Catfish"
his teammates because his whiskers make him resemble the fish, is from
SC and is a graduate of Easley High School.
* Freshman Sergio Gilliam made his first appearance for the Tigers today.
first-year freshman played about 10 snaps at cornerback and saw action
special teams. Gilliam is from Greer High School in Greer, SC. He
fifth first-year freshman to play for Clemson this year. The others are
Jad Dean, Marion Dukes, Brandon Pilgrim and Tramaine Billie. All four of
players participated in today's game.
* Darian Durant had 110 yards rushing in 10 attempts today. It was the
100-yard rushing game by an opposing quarterback since John Dewberry had
yards rushing in 10 attempts against the Tigers at Death Valley on
24, 1983. It was the first time an opposing quarterback had at least 100 yards rushing and 100 yards passing in the same game since November 22, 1975 when Jeff Grantz of South Carolina had 122 yards rushing and 158 yards passing.
* Clemson quarterback Charlie Whitehurst, a sophomore who has played 17 games in his career, now has 3692 yards passing, sixth best in Clemson history. He moved ahead of Homer Jordan (3643) in today's game. Whitehurst also
wentover the 300 completion mark and the 500 attempt mark in today's game. He is now fifth in Clemson history in completions and seventh in attempts. The record holder for passing yardage and completions in Clemson history is Woody
Dantzler, who watched the game from the Clemson sidelines today. Dantzler is now with the Atlanta Falcons, who have this weekend off.
North Carolina - Clemson News & Notes
CUTigers.com Top Stories
RECRUITING RADAR: ACC CHAMPS!In our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comYesterday at 3:12 PM
SPECIAL OFFER: 15% OFF FIESTA BOWL TICKETS!NOW THROUGH MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY ONLY: 10% ticket discount for CUTigers.com Premium Members is increased to 15%!
CUTigers.comMonday at 12:33 PM
ACC CHAMPIONSHIP POST-GAME INTERVIEWSWatch Dabo Swinney, Deshaun Watson and more Clemson coaches and players discuss their second consecutive ACC Championship on Saturday night!
CUTigers.comSunday at 11:18 AM
PLAYOFF REPEAT FOR TIGERS#2 Clemson will join Alabama as the only two programs to make repeat trips to the College Football Playoff.
CUTigers.comSunday at 10:10 AM
ANOTHER CLEMSON CHAMPIONSHIP!!!#3 Clemson held on to beat #23 Virginia Tech 42-35 for its first back-to-back ACC Titles in 28 years.
CUTigers.comSaturday at 11:52 PM