* The 63 points scored by Clemson in the 63-17 victory were the most scored by Clemson since the Tigers scored 82 in an 82-24 win over Wake Forest on October 3, 1981. The 63 points were the most scored by the Tigers on the road since Clemson defeated Georgia Tech in Atlanta by a 73-0 score in 1903. John Heisman was the coach of that Georgia Tech team.
*The 63 points scored were the most points scored in the history of
the series by either team. Clemson's previous high was 51 in 1900
and South Carolina's was 56 in 1975.
* Clemson's 63 points tied for the most ever scored against South
Carolina. Navy defeated South Carolina 63-0 in 1920 and Florida
downed the Gamecocks 63-7 in 1995. It also tied the record for the
most points scored in Williams Brice Stadium, tying the 63 by Florida
* The 63 points scored by Clemson were the most ever scored against a
Lou Holtz coached football team. The previous high was 54 by Florida
* Clemson's 46-point victory margin was its highest in the series with
South Carolina since 1900 when Clemson won 51-0 in Columbia.
* Clemson's 35 points in the first half were the most scored by
Clemson against South Carolina in one half. The previous record was
34 in the second half at Columbia in 1997.
* Clemson now has 3441 yards passing this season, a school season
record. The Tigers broke the record in the South Carolina game.
* Clemson played 73 players in Saturday night's game at South
Carolina, 32 on offense, 28 on defense and 13 who played special
* Clemson's average starting field position on Saturday night at South
Carolina was its own 42-yardline. South Carolina's average starting
field position was its own 22.
* Clemson is now averaging 5.8 yards per play, the highest per play
average by a Clemson team since 1950 when Frank Howard's undefeated
team averaged 6.2 yards per play for the course of the season.
* Clemson is now 17th in the nation in passing offense with 286.8
yards per game. That is the highest national ranking Clemson has
ever had in passing offense.
* Clemson quarterbacks had 12 rushes for 121 yards in the win at South
Carolina, 10 yards per rush.
* Clemson is now 7-0 in all sports head to head with South Carolina
this academic year. The Lady Tiger basketball team won a 103-99
overtime contest on Friday night. Clemson also has defeated South
Carolina in men's soccer, women's soccer, volleyball, men's swimming
and women's swimming this year. The next competition will be the
men's basketball game on December 6 at Clemson.
* Clemson went over the 5000-yard mark in total offense for the season
with its 542-yard effort at South Carolina. Clemson now has 5068
yards for the season and needs just 175 yards in the bowl game to
establish a school record. Clemson has now reached the 400-yard
mark in nine of its 12 games this year.
*The team that has scored first has won all 12 Clemson football games
*In its three-game winning streak to end the season Clemson has
averaged 43 points per game, 484 yards total offense, and 306 passing
yards per game.
* Clemson now ranks second in the ACC in total offense at 422 yards
per game. The Tigers are third in total defense with a 329.2
average. Clemson is second in the league in passing offense at 286.8
yards per game and first in passing yardage defense at 189.5 yards
per game. Clemson continues to lead the ACC and rank second in the
nation in kickoff return average.
* When Derrick Hamilton caught a 36-yard scoring pass from Charlie Whitehurst in the first period it marked the fifth straight game that
Hamilton had caught a touchdown pass. That is a Clemson record for
consecutive games catching a touchdown pass. The previous record was
four in a row by K.D. Dunn in 1983.
* Hamilton had 71 yards receiving in the game, giving him 2243
receiving yards for his career. He moved into fourth place on
Clemson's career reception yardage list, ahead of Jerry Butler, who
had 2223 yards between 1978-81. It is ironic that he passed Butler
in Columbia because that was the site of Butler's famous catch in
Clemson's 1977 victory.
* Hamilton now has 162 receptions in his career, tied for second in
Clemson history with Terry Smith. He will need just five catches in
Clemson's bowl game to pass Rod Gardner and become the school's
career leader. It would be ironic if Clemson goes to the Gator Bowl.
Gardner passed Smith in the Gator Bowl at the end of the 2000 season
to become the school's career leader.
* Hamilton now has 957 receiving yards this season. He needs just 43
receiving yards in the bowl game to become the second Clemson
receiver in history to record 1000 yards in a season. Rod Gardner is
the only other Clemson player to do it and he did it twice. He
already has the single season touchdown reception record with 10.
Hamilton now has 16 career touchdown receptions. He needs just two
to tie Glenn Smith's career record of 18. That is one of he oldest
individual records in the Clemson record book, as Smith played from
1948-51. Hamilton is now tied for third with Terrance Roulhac.
* Charlie Whitehurst threw four touchdown passes in Clemson's victory
in Columbia. It marked the fourth time Whitehurst had tied the
single game record for touchdown passes in a game. His fourth
scoring pass, to running back Duane Coleman, gave him 21 scoring
passes for the season, tying Woodrow Dantzler's record of 21 set in
* Whitehurst set a Clemson record for passing yardage and touchdown
passes by a Tiger quarterback against South Carolina with his 302
passing yards and four touchdowns on Saturday night. He broke his
own record of 287 yards in 2002. For two games, Whitehurst is now
45-64 (.703) for 589 yards and four touchdowns. His 43-yards rushing
on Saturday night were his career high in six carries.
* Whitehurst is now second in the ACC in passing yards per game
(276.2) and third in passing efficiency (138.8). He also has now
gone ahead of Woodrow Dantzler on Clemson's career passing efficiency
list and now has the number-one ranking on a career basis.
* Chad Jasmin scored four touchdowns against South Carolina Saturday
night, most touchdowns ever scored by a Clemson player against South
Carolina. In fact, Jasmin was just the seventh different player in
Clemson history to score at least four touchdowns in a game, the
first since Travis Zachery had four against Duke in 2001.
* Jamaal Fudge had two interceptions against South Carolina, the first
Clemson player this year to get a pair of interceptions in one game.
* LeRoy Hill had four tackles for loss against South Carolina and
finishes the regular season with 25. That is the fourth highest
single season figure in Clemson history, the most since Keith Adams
35 in 1999. Adams also wore number-43.
* Clemson's 63rd and final point was an extra point scored by Fletcher
Anderson, his first appearance in a Clemson game after four years on
the squad. Anderson is also the Clemson Student Body President.
* Bobby Williamson was the only Clemson player who suffered an injury
in the South Carolina game. He suffered a knee injury and was carted
off the field. The injury is not believed to be serious. He will
be examined on Monday.
Clemson - South Carolina News & Notes
CUTigers.com Top Stories
3-22 RECRUITING RADARIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comWednesday at 11:14 AM
TIGERS TEE OFF ON C OF CRed-hot ACC Player of the Week Chris Williams hit his 4th and 5th home runs in 8 days and Beer and Davidson also went yard, as #6 Clemson won its 16th of the last 18 games.
CUTigers.comTuesday at 7:48 PM
BROWNELL REMAINS AT CLEMSONDespite widespread speculation about Brad Brownell's job security after a disappointing season, he will remain at Clemson for at least one more season.
TIGERS TAKE SERIES!!!Pat Krall allows just one run and #9 Clemson slugs its way to its 15th win in the last 17 games, taking 2 of 3 from #11 UVA!