* February 18 was a magic day for Clemson for the third time in the last four years. Clemson defeated NC State tonight 60-55. The Pack was ranked 13th in AP and 18th by ESPN/Coach's poll. NC State was ranked sixth in the RPI entering the game. Last year on February 18, Clemson defeated Virginia at Virginia, 73-64, one of just three road wins for Clemson the last six years. In 2001 on this day Clemson upset #1 ranked North Carolina 75-65 at Littlejohn Coliseum, ending North Carolina's 18-game winning streak.
* Clemson had a season low 11 turnovers in this game. It marks the
second straight game Clemson has had a season low in turnovers.
Clemson's 13 turnovers at Florida State was the low point in the year
prior to Wednesday night's game. Clemson had 13 assists tonight,
giving Clemson more assists than turnovers for the first time in an
ACC game this year and for just the third time this year.
* Shawan Robinson led Clemson in scoring with 20 points. Robinson is
a native of Raleigh, the home of the NC State campus, and is a
graduate of Leesville Road High School. Robinson has led Clemson in
scoring in all three of its ACC wins this year. He had 10 in the win
over Florida State, 24 in the win over North Carolina and 20 this
evening. It was his third career 20-point scoring game, all have
taken place within the last six games. Robinson made 3-5
three-point goals tonight and has now made 11 of his last 18 from
* NC State shot 30.2 percent from the field, its worst field goal
percentage of the season. It was the worst field goal percentage
over the last 47 games for the Pack dating to a 17-64 shooting
performance in a loss to Gonzaga on December 17, 2002.
* Clemson has now beaten a 12th ranked North Carolina and a 13th
ranked NC State (Associated Press polls) this season. This is the
first time Clemson has beaten two top 20 teams in the same season
since 2001-02 when Clemson defeated a fifth ranked Virginia team and
a 17th ranked Wake Forest team. It is the first time since 1996-97
that Clemson has beaten at least a pair of top 15 teams in a season.
That year Clemson beat an 11th ranked Maryland team, a seventh ranked
Maryland and a 10th ranked Duke team.
* Akin Akingbala had 10 points in his first career starting role this
evening. It was his second career double figure scoring game, first
since he scored 10 points in the season opener this year against
Gardner-Webb. He had a career high five field goals in the game.
* Olu Babalola suffered a sprained ankle in practice on Monday, but
played 29 minutes this evening and led all rebounders with nine. It
as the most rebounds in a game for Babalola in his career against an
ACC team and most in any game since he had 11 in a loss to South Carolina earlier this year. He also had four rebounds to tie for
the team lead.
* NC State missed 31 three-point attempts in this game. It was the
second most missed three-point goals ever against Clemson. The only
figure that is higher took place on December 1, 1993 when Charleston
Southern missed 32 (15-47) from long range in Charleston, SC in a
120-103 Clemson victory.
Clemson vs. N.C. State Notes
CUTigers.com Top Stories
MONDAY WEST ZONE INTERVIEWSWatch Deshaun Watson, Wayne Gallman and Tony Elliott discuss the upcoming showdown with Florida State!
TIGERS REMAIN #3 IN BOTH POLLSWith Ohio State losing and Michigan jumping to #2, idle Clemson sits at #3 in both of Sunday's polls.
CUTigers.comYesterday at 10:59 AM
GRADES AND ANALYSIS: NC State#3 Clemson committed 4 turnovers, including 3 in the red zone and a pick-six, in its 24-17 overtime win over NC State in Death Valley.
CUTigers.comThursday at 2:52 PM
Clemson Basketball Media DayWatch Head Coach Brad Brownell and his assistant coaches discuss the upcoming basketball season at Clemson Media Day!
CUTigers.comThursday at 1:30 PM