The Atlantic Coast Conference announced today that six Clemson football players have been suspended, and four others reprimanded, as a result of the fighting incident that occurred at the South Carolina-Clemson football game on November 20.
Following a thorough review of available video footage, the ACC has issued one-game suspensions to Nathan Bennett, Brandon Cannon, Duane Coleman, Roman Fry, Maurice Nelson and Anthony Waters. Each player's one-game suspension must be served during the 2005 regular season with each player's game to be determined by Clemson University. In addition, senior Yusef Kelly would have received a one-game suspension if he had any eligibility remaining.
In addition, Cory Groover, Tommy Sharpe, Nick Watkins and Bobby Williamson will receive letters of reprimand for their involvement in the incident.
"I commend Clemson University for the way they immediately and decisively addressed the situation," said Swofford. "They made a loud and clear statement for college football by foregoing a bowl invitation. Clemson's strong action mitigated additional consideration of sanctions involving other student-athletes as well as individual multiple game suspensions.
"What took place in the South Carolina-Clemson game has no place in college football or any other sporting event. The ACC is compelled to take this action because of the nature and seriousness of the situation and to further provide a clear and definitive message that the Conference will make every effort to exemplify the very best qualities of sportsmanship and that the actions that took place are not acceptable at the institutional or conference level."
The SEC also announced suspensions for the Gamecocks.
The Southeastern Conference announced today that six
South Carolina football players have been suspended for the first game
of the 2005 football season, as a result of the fighting incident that
occurred at the South Carolina-Clemson football game on November 20.
Following a thorough review of available video footage, the SEC has
issued suspensions to Daccus Turman, Jermaine Sims, Freddy Saint-Preux,
Woodly Telfort, Moe Thompson and Charles Silas. Seniors Taqiy
Muhammad, Matthew Thomas and Jamacia Jackson, would have been suspended,
if they had eligibility remaining, bringing the total to nine.
"The actions of these suspended student-athletes violate the letter and
spirit of the SEC and NCAA rules and regulations of sportsmanlike
conduct," said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. "These suspensions are
intended to send a clear and unequivocal message to all student-athletes
in the Southeastern Conference that this conduct will not be tolerated
now or in the future and those committing unsportsmanlike acts will be
held accountable for their actions."
Last week, South Carolina withdrew from post-season bowl consideration
as a result of the fight. "I want to recognize the major step taken
by the University of South Carolina in withdrawing from bowl
consideration this year," said Slive.
ACC/SEC Suspends Players
CUTigers.com Top Stories
RECRUITING RADAR: National Champion EditionIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comFriday at 7:38 AM
POST-GAME INTERVIEWSWatch Clemson Head Coach Dabo Swinney, players and coaches discuss their historic National Championship win over #1 Alabama.
CUTigers.comTuesday at 12:22 PM
Clemson National Championship PCIn arguably the greatest National Championship Game ever played in the first rematch ever, Clemson turned the tables on Alabama to reclaim its #1 ranking and win its second…
CUTigers.comTuesday at 11:08 AM
NATIONAL CHAMPS AGAIN!!!In perhaps the greatest National Championship Game of all time, Clemson avenged its 2016 National Championship Game loss to Alabama and captured its 2nd National Title in school…
CUTigers.comTuesday at 12:39 AM