I was over in Columbus today watching the south team practice and here's some of what I gathered...
* Their WR's aren't very big with the exception of Nick Kyles, and they aren't very deep either. It appears this may be the weakest spot on the team.
* Team appeared so slim at Wideout that during one point at the practice Tray Blackmon began lining out wide, and the guy is such a good athlete that he was actually getting open as well.
* The OL appears to be bookended by Nic Riley of Houston County and Chris Scott of Lovejoy at the Tackles. Big Nick Mobley from Dublin is the man over center.
* Tony Wright from Peach County looks to be the frontrunner at Tailback along with Tyree Burnett from Washington County. James Davis from Douglass is also seeing some time back there.
* Zach Stanford from Metter will likely start the game at QB with Terrence Ransom from Monroe-Albany and Terrence Moore from Shaw backing him up.
* Jerrell Mabry from Shaw and Brandon Hart from Troup County are splitting the load at FB.
* Like we thought coming in, the linebackers are absolutely the cream of the crop. Darius Dewberry from Peach County and Tray Blackmon from LaGrange look to be the starters on the outside with Antonio Clay from Twiggs County and Jamal Jackson from Crisp County backing them up. Dan Foster from Early County and Brandon Hart from Troup County are splitting time at MLB.
* Aairon Savage from Westover, Daniel Wilcox from Dodge County and Henry Chubb from Ware County are getting a lot of time at CB. It appeared Keith Fitzhugh was working a lot more at Safety.
* With all the solid RB's on roster, Matt Dunham from Pacelli is filling a need and playing FS for the South team
* Nic Riley told me he was taking most of the reps at TE headed into today, but Logan Lowrey from Pike County worked the most at that spot while I was at practice.
* Kyle Moore from Houston County appears to have nailed down a spot at DE as well as Brandon Perry from Hawkinsville at DT. The rest of the line looks up in the air at this point with guys like Clifford Respress from Lamar County, Roderick Battle from Douglass and Jon Brown from Washington County getting a lot of action. Rodney Milsap from Fitzgerald showed up late to camp and it's unsure how much he will play.
* Trey Dunmon from Hawkinsville is handling the deep snapping duties.
* Tony Wright and Tyree Burnett appear to be getting the lion's share of the return duties. James Davis is also taking back some kicks.
* Courtland Fuller from Kendrick has offers from Troy State and Mississippi State and he's leaning heavily to the Bulldogs. He could commit soon.
* Rodney Milsap has scheduled a visit to MTSU for January. He said UF had offered but he hasn't heard from the Gators since Coach Disch was let go
* Terrence Ransom says Troy State, Albany State, Valdosta State and Clemson have offered. He also says ND is recruiting heavily. He has no leader.
* Henry Chubb says Troy State, ECU, UCF, GSU and MTSU have offered.
* Antonio Clay says he's not committed anywhere contrary to reports otherwise last week. He also insists that his uncle is not doing anything to control his decision like others have suggested. He says open and still looking at the Canes and Noles.
James Davis Reports to Columbus
CUTigers.com Top Stories
GRADES AND ANALYSIS: NC State#3 Clemson committed 4 turnovers, including 3 in the red zone and a pick-six, in its 24-17 overtime win over NC State in Death Valley.
CUTigers.comYesterday at 2:52 PM
Clemson Basketball Media DayWatch Head Coach Brad Brownell and his assistant coaches discuss the upcoming basketball season at Clemson Media Day!
CUTigers.comYesterday at 1:30 PM
PHOTO GALLERY: #3 Clemson vs NC StateEnjoy these images from Clemson's thrilling overtime victory versus NC State in Death Valley, courtesy of CUTigers Photographer John Bolton!
CUTigers.comYesterday at 11:12 AM
College coaches who could get hired awayWhy these highly sought college football coaches would leave (and why they could stay)
ScoutYesterday at 10:00 AM