* Clemson Head Coach Oliver Purnell and Florida State Head Coach Leonard Hamilton are both in their 17th seasons as a Divison I head coach. Purnell has coached 489 games and Hamilton has coached 487. The two coaches have faced each other just twice (last year) and have split the two games.
* It has not quite been Chapel Hill, but Clemson has struggled in the Donald Tucker Center (formerly Leon Country Coliseum). Clemson is 2-11 against the Seminoles in the facility since Florida State joined the ACC for the 1991-92 academic year. The two wins came in 1996-97 and 1997-98, both when Rick Barnes was the head coach at Clemson.
* Clemson has a 2-11 record at the Tucker Center, but many of the games have been close. In fact, seven of the 11 losses have been by six points or less, including a 60-59 loss in 2002-03.
* Sharrod Ford played his 100th career game when the Tigers lost to Wake Forest last Saturday. He now has 879 points and 610 rebounds for his 100 games as a Clemson Tiger, including a 14.4 scoring average and 7.8 rebound average this season. Ford has led Clemson in rebounding in each of the last six games and 10 of the 14 games so far.
* Shawan Robinson went over the 100-mark in terms of made three-point goals against Wake Forest. He made two three-point goals in the game and now has 101 for his career. He has a .414 career threepoint goal percentage. Robinson has made 13-24 three-point goals in his career against FSU, including 9-11 in three games his freshman year.
* Clemson ranked fifth in the nation in steals and 24th in blocked shots through games of January 1. Clemson was one of just six schools nationally to rank in the top 25 in both categories.
* Vernon Hamilton has 35 steals and just 29 fouls so far this year. Only one Clemson player in the last 17 years has finished a season with more steals than fouls.
* Sharrod Ford is attempting to become just the second player in Clemson history to improve his scoring average by at least 3.0 per game in three consecutive years. Ford, who averages 14.4 per game so far this year, needs to average 14.9 for the season to join Horace Grant in that exclusive club.
* Junior center Akin Akingbala has improved his scoring average this year to 9.0 points per game, up from 4.8 last season. He is 7-10 from the field in two ACC games so far this season, including the Wake Forest game when he made 5-6 field goals and led the Tigers in scoring with a career high tying 16 points. He is shooting .646 from the field for the year.
Clemson - FSU Game Notes
CUTigers.com Top Stories
TIGERS WIN 7-2, SWEEP C OF C!Reed Rohlman is 10 of his last 13 and upped his average to .413, going 3-3 with a HR, two doubles and a HBP, as #3 Clemson cruised past Monte Lee's alma mater, College of…
CUTigers.comYesterday at 7:40 PM
TIGERS WIN 11-0 TO TAKE SERIES!Alex Eubanks struck out 12 and walked none in a 116-pitch, complete-game 11-0 shutout of #17 Wake Forest in the first half of a doubleheader, putting #3 Clemson in position for…
CUTigers.comSaturday at 2:30 PM
SWEPT UGAIN!Tyler Jackson allowed just one earned run, and Chris Williams broke the game open with a 3-run homer to lead #3 Clemson to a 9-7 win over UGA for the season sweep!
ANOTHER 11TH INNING WALK-OFF WIN FOR TIGERS!#4 Clemson beat Charleston Southern 6-5 for its second 11-inning win of the season in walk-off fashion, thanks to the bull pen, Logan Davidson, Reed Rohlman and Rudy Cox, who…
ANOTHER 5-STAR IS ALL IN!Shortly before the Clemson Orange & White Game, Dabo and the staff received an enormous commitment from 5-Star 2018 DE Xavier Thomas, ranked as high as #1 overall recruit in the…