* The team that has won the first five minutes of the second half has gone on to win eight of the last nine games the Tigers have played. That included the most recent game with North Carolina when the Tar Heels went on an 11-0 to open the second half.
* Clemson reserve guard Vernon Hamilton is a native of Richmond, VA, the first scholarship Clemson player from the state of Virginia since Jo Jo Bethea came to Clemson in 1973. Hamilton struggled at Virginia last year when he made nine turnovers, but came back to score a career high 19 points on 6-10 shooting in the ACC Tournament against the Cavaliers to close his freshman season.
* Clemson ranks eighth in the nation in steals per game with 10.9 per game so far this season. Hamilton leads the way with 44 in 17 games. His 2.59 steals per game is ahead of the Clemson record of 2.43 per game set by Chris Whitney in 1992-93.
* Oliver Purnell will be returning to a state where he coached and played for many years. Purnell led Old Dominion to the NCAA Division II championship as a senior in 1974-75. He was an assistant coach at Old Dominion from 1975-76 to 1984-85, then was the head coach at Radford for 1988-89 through 1990-91 and was the head coach at Old Dominion from 1991-92 through 1993-94.
* Clemson freshman Cheyenne Moore is coming off his best game as a Clemson Tiger. The 6-6 forward scored had a season high 14 points on 5-10 shooting against North Carolina. Moore's game included 4-7 three-point shooting. He had not had more than two threre-point goals in any game heading into Wednesday night's game with the Tar Heels.
* Clemson is in the middle of a stretch in which it must play four of five games on the road. Clemson is 1-2 so far on the road this year with the victory at Florida State. Clemson has won just four of its last 51 ACC road games. One of those wins was at Virginia in 2002-03. That is Clemson's only win at Virginia since 1996-97.
* Sharrod Ford has scored in double figures in three straight games and six of his last seven. He has scored in double figures in 10 of his last 11 ACC road games and is averaging 15 points per game in his last 11 ACC road games.
* Clemson held North Carolina to 27 points in the first half last Wednesday, the Tar Heel's fewest points in a half since the opening half of the year when Santa Clara held them to 26.
* Freshman Cliff Hammonds is second among all conference freshmen in scoring with a 9.9 average. The native of Cairo, GA who leads the team in playing time had a 3.25 GPA in architecture in his first semester at Clemson.
Clemson - Virginia Game Notes
CUTigers.com Top Stories
TUESDAY DABO PC AND INTERVIEWSCUTigers was at the Clemson West Zone on Tuesday for Dabo Swinney's weekly press conference and interviews with Brent Venables, Christian Wilkins, Jadar Johnson and Kendall Joesph.
CUTigers.comYesterday at 12:00 PM
Updated Scout 300 Trend Meter For 2017The updated Scout 300 Trend Meter for the 2017 class takes a look at which schools are trending for each uncommitted member in the Scout 300.
Scout FootballYesterday at 5:40 AM
RECRUITING RADARIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comMonday at 3:20 PM
MONDAY WEST ZONE INTERVIEWSWatch Deshaun Watson, Wayne Gallman and Tony Elliott discuss the upcoming showdown with Florida State!
CUTigers.comMonday at 2:56 PM
TIGERS REMAIN #3 IN BOTH POLLSWith Ohio State losing and Michigan jumping to #2, idle Clemson sits at #3 in both of Sunday's polls.
CUTigers.comSunday at 10:59 AM