* Clemson had 10 blocked shots and 15 steals in the win over Wake Forest. This is the first time Clemson has had at least 10 blocks and 15 steals in the same game since the 1989-90 season when a Clemson team led by Dale Davis and Elden Campbell had 16 blocks and 18 steals in a win over Radford. The head coach of that Radford team was Oliver Purnell.
* Vernon Hamilton scored 21 points to reach a new career high. The
native of Richmond, whose sister Lauren Hamilton is a Wake Forest
graduate, also added five rebounds and four steals without a personal
foul. His previous career high was 19 against Virginia in the ACC
Tournament his freshman year.
* Cliff Hammonds also had 21 points to tie his season high. He also
added five rebounds, three assists and three steals.
* Hammonds and Hamilton combined for 42 points, 10 rebounds, six
assists and just two turnovers in 77 combined minutes. They also had
seven combined steals.
* Hammonds and Hamilton both scored at least 20 points the first time
Clemson has had two 20-point scorers in the same game since Shawan Robinson had 22 and Sharrod Ford had 25 in an 88-73 win over Maryland
on Feb. 1, 2005 at College Park.
* This was the first time Clemson has had two guards go for at least
20 points in the same game since Feb. 13, 2002. In that game, a
118-115 double overtime win over Wake Forest, both Tony Stockman and
Edward Scott had 30 points apiece. Chris Hobbs also had 24 points to
give Clemson three 20-point scorers. That was also the last time
Clemson defeated Wake Forest. Thus, the only two times in the last
109 games that Clemson has had two guards score at least 20 points,
Wake Forest has been the opponent both times and both games have been
Clemson overtime victories.
* Freshman center Raymond Sykes had three blocked shots, a steal and
two rebounds in the win over Wake Forest. Sykes had not played since
December 20. He had just two blocks in six career games prior to
Wednesday, then had three in 15 minutes against Wake Forest.
Blocking shots is nothing new for Sykes however. He once blocked 21
shots in a high school game.
* Eric Williams had 22 points and 20 rebounds for Wake Forest, the
first opposing player to have a 20-20 against Clemson since January
17, 1972 when Tom Burleson had 24 points and 21 rebounds in a 58-46
NC State win in Raleigh. He was the first opposing player to get 20
rebounds against the Tigers since December 16, 1975 when Al Young had
20 rebounds for Jacksonville against Tree Rollins and the Tigers.
* Clemson won this game with a -16 rebound margin. It is the first
time Clemson has won a game with a rebound margin of -16 or worse
since the 2000-01 season when Clemson was out-rebounded by 21 by The
Citadel in an 84-76 Clemson victory at Littlejohn Coliseum.
Clemson - Wake Game Notes
CUTigers.com Top Stories
3-22 RECRUITING RADARIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comWednesday at 11:14 AM
TIGERS TEE OFF ON C OF CRed-hot ACC Player of the Week Chris Williams hit his 4th and 5th home runs in 8 days and Beer and Davidson also went yard, as #6 Clemson won its 16th of the last 18 games.
CUTigers.comTuesday at 7:48 PM
BROWNELL REMAINS AT CLEMSONDespite widespread speculation about Brad Brownell's job security after a disappointing season, he will remain at Clemson for at least one more season.
TIGERS TAKE SERIES!!!Pat Krall allows just one run and #9 Clemson slugs its way to its 15th win in the last 17 games, taking 2 of 3 from #11 UVA!
TIGERS LAND 4-STAR COMMIT!Defending National Champion Clemson received its 6th commitment of the 2018 class--5 of them 4-stars or better--in 4-star DE Justin Mascoll!