* Clemson had 10 blocked shots and 15 steals in the win over Wake Forest. This is the first time Clemson has had at least 10 blocks and 15 steals in the same game since the 1989-90 season when a Clemson team led by Dale Davis and Elden Campbell had 16 blocks and 18 steals in a win over Radford. The head coach of that Radford team was Oliver Purnell.
* Vernon Hamilton scored 21 points to reach a new career high. The
native of Richmond, whose sister Lauren Hamilton is a Wake Forest
graduate, also added five rebounds and four steals without a personal
foul. His previous career high was 19 against Virginia in the ACC
Tournament his freshman year.
* Cliff Hammonds also had 21 points to tie his season high. He also
added five rebounds, three assists and three steals.
* Hammonds and Hamilton combined for 42 points, 10 rebounds, six
assists and just two turnovers in 77 combined minutes. They also had
seven combined steals.
* Hammonds and Hamilton both scored at least 20 points the first time
Clemson has had two 20-point scorers in the same game since Shawan Robinson had 22 and Sharrod Ford had 25 in an 88-73 win over Maryland
on Feb. 1, 2005 at College Park.
* This was the first time Clemson has had two guards go for at least
20 points in the same game since Feb. 13, 2002. In that game, a
118-115 double overtime win over Wake Forest, both Tony Stockman and
Edward Scott had 30 points apiece. Chris Hobbs also had 24 points to
give Clemson three 20-point scorers. That was also the last time
Clemson defeated Wake Forest. Thus, the only two times in the last
109 games that Clemson has had two guards score at least 20 points,
Wake Forest has been the opponent both times and both games have been
Clemson overtime victories.
* Freshman center Raymond Sykes had three blocked shots, a steal and
two rebounds in the win over Wake Forest. Sykes had not played since
December 20. He had just two blocks in six career games prior to
Wednesday, then had three in 15 minutes against Wake Forest.
Blocking shots is nothing new for Sykes however. He once blocked 21
shots in a high school game.
* Eric Williams had 22 points and 20 rebounds for Wake Forest, the
first opposing player to have a 20-20 against Clemson since January
17, 1972 when Tom Burleson had 24 points and 21 rebounds in a 58-46
NC State win in Raleigh. He was the first opposing player to get 20
rebounds against the Tigers since December 16, 1975 when Al Young had
20 rebounds for Jacksonville against Tree Rollins and the Tigers.
* Clemson won this game with a -16 rebound margin. It is the first
time Clemson has won a game with a rebound margin of -16 or worse
since the 2000-01 season when Clemson was out-rebounded by 21 by The
Citadel in an 84-76 Clemson victory at Littlejohn Coliseum.
Clemson - Wake Game Notes
CUTigers.com Top Stories
WATSON WINS DAVEY O'BRIEN AWARDWatch our interview with Deshaun Watson following the receipt of his second consecutive Davey O'Brien Award at the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta!
CUTigers.comYesterday at 11:11 AM
CFP HEAD COACHES' JOINT PRESS CONFERENCEWatch Clemson Head Coach Dabo Swinney, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban and Chris Petersen discuss the upcoming College Football Playoff from the College Football Hall of Fame in Atlanta at…
CUTigers.comYesterday at 11:03 AM
RECRUITING RADAR: ACC CHAMPS!In our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comTuesday at 3:12 PM
SPECIAL OFFER: 15% OFF FIESTA BOWL TICKETS!NOW THROUGH MIDNIGHT WEDNESDAY ONLY: 10% ticket discount for CUTigers.com Premium Members is increased to 15%!
CUTigers.comMonday at 12:33 PM