* Look for freshmen cornerback Justin Miller to get his chance as a punt returner next week. "Derrick Hamilton, Brian Mance, and Airese Currie will be the main guys. Miller did some in high school, I know he did it some so we'll look at him," said Tommy Bowden. The former All-American out of Owensboro, Kentucky ran three kicks back for scores his senior season.
* Freshman linebacker Donnell Clark came into Clemson last night and hit the practice fields today. "We've got two down and two to go. Donell found at yesterday at 5 o'clock," said Bowden. The Tigers are still awaiting word on Tymere Zimmerman and Duane Coleman. Early indications are the Coleman could be a partial qualifier.
* Tennessee transfer Michael Collins also saw his first action as a Clemson Tiger today. Collins is a big wide receiver, standing in at 6-feet, 6-inches tall and almost 220 pounds. Collins will sit out this season before he becomes eligible to play next year both on the hardwood and the gridiron.
* Apparently there was some consideration this summer to move RB Tye Hill to cornerback, especially now that Terrance Huey is no longer with the team due to medical problems. However, Bowden insisted Friday that Hill would remain on offense, and he'll also see action as a kickoff returner.
* News out of Athens has the Bulldogs using two quarterbacks in their season opener against the Tigers. "A year ago, you had two guys competing for the starting job, not knowing who the starter would be," head coach Mark Richt said. "That's very different from the scenario this year. You've got David Greene, who is the established starter, and D.J. Shockley is trying to prove what he can do."
Georgia will use a two quarterback system against Clemson, but Richt is unsure of how much redshirt freshmen D.J. Shockley will play. Shockley told the Atlanta-Journal Constitution that he considered transferring to either North Carolina or Maryland before deciding to stay with the Dawgs earlier this year.
* In other news, it was learned earlier today that former Clemson signee Derrick Higgins is attempting to get back to Tiger Town. The former wide receiver orginally signed with Clemson last year before failing to qualify. He is currently enrolled at Dodge City Junior College, and if he can graduate by December he'll enroll at Clemson in January.
Fall Practice News & Notes
CUTigers.com Top Stories
3-22 RECRUITING RADARIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comWednesday at 11:14 AM
TIGERS TEE OFF ON C OF CRed-hot ACC Player of the Week Chris Williams hit his 4th and 5th home runs in 8 days and Beer and Davidson also went yard, as #6 Clemson won its 16th of the last 18 games.
CUTigers.comTuesday at 7:48 PM
BROWNELL REMAINS AT CLEMSONDespite widespread speculation about Brad Brownell's job security after a disappointing season, he will remain at Clemson for at least one more season.
CUTigers.comMonday at 10:08 AM
TIGERS TAKE SERIES!!!Pat Krall allows just one run and #9 Clemson slugs its way to its 15th win in the last 17 games, taking 2 of 3 from #11 UVA!
CUTigers.comSunday at 4:31 PM