* Clemson had the ball for 19 plays on its first drive of the game and moved the ball 93 yards for a lead field goal. It was the most plays in a drive by Clemson since 9-22-79 when Clemson had a 19-play drive in a 12-7 victory against Georgia. The highest number of plays in a drive in Clemson history is 20, set in a 1978 victory by Clemson over Virginia Tech.
* Clemson's 93-yard drive in the first quarter was its longest of he season and longest since a 96-yard drive at South Carolina last year.
Clemson had two drives of 92 yards or more in today's game the first time in school history Clemson has two of 92 yards or more in the
*Clemson outgained Virginia 412-288 in today's game, the sixth straight game Clemson has outgained the opposition this year, yet the
Tigers are just 3-3.
* Clemson had a +124 total offense margin, yet lost the game at Virginia. It was the largest total offense margin in a Clemson loss
since the 1999 Peach Bowl when Clemson outgained Mississippi State 391-265 in a 17-7 loss.
* Clemson had 25 first downs at Virginia, yet lost the game. It was the first time since last year's Florida State game that Clemson has
had at least 25 first downs yet lost.
* Last year Clemson had 29 first downs against Virginia, yet lost, the most first downs in Clemson history in a Tiger defeat.
* Clemson has gained 845 yards and had 54 first downs the last two games against Virginia, yet lost both games.
* Billy McMullen, Virginia's big play performer, has scored the key touchdown in a Virginia victory each of the last two years. Ironically, both plays were just one yard. Last year he caught a one-yard touchdown pass with one second left to beat Clemson 26-24. This year his one-yard rush put Virginia up for good in the fourth
* Clemson backup quarterback Charlie Whitehurst is now 11-11 passing on the season for 113 yards and a score. He is the first Clemson quarterback to complete each of his first 11 career attempts. The Clemson record for consecutive completions at any time is 17 by
Nealon Greene in 1997. He completed his last 13, ironically against Virginia in a Tiger loss, then completed his first four vs. Maryland
in a Tiger victory.
* Clemson held Virginia to under 300 yards total offense (288). It marked the second time this year Clemson had held a team under 300
and lost. It also happened against Georgia. Last year Clemson went the entire season without holding a team under 300 yards total
offense. Clemson had been 10-1 under Tommy Bowden when holding the opposition under 300 yards total offense entering this season.
* Clemson injuries: Bernard Rambert did not play in the second half due to bruised ribs. Gary Byrd, starting offensive tackle, did not
play in the fourth period due to a sprained ankle and a sprained knee. Nathan Gillespie took his place in the fourth period and was
in the lineup on Clemson's 92-yard scoring drive in the fourth period.
* Derrick Hamilton had his third 200-yard all-purpose running game of the season. He had 81 receiving, 107 in kickoff returns, 15 in punt
returns and three rushing yards for 206 total yards.
* Tye Hill had his first career touchdown when he raced 32 yards for a score in the second period with a minute left.
* That score gave Clemson a touchdown within the last 90 seconds of the first half in five of the first six games. Clemson has scored a
touchdown just before halftime in every game but Louisiana Tech this year.
*Over the last two games Clemson has gained 853 yards in 134 plays, an average of 6.4 yards per play. Clemson is 0-2 in those two games.
*Brian Mance's interception just before halftime was his third of the year and ninth as a Clemson Tiger. He has had exactly three interceptions each of the last three years.
*Aaron Hunt booted a pair of extra points and became Clemson's career leader in that category in the process. The junior is now 108 for
112 in his career. He broke the record of 107 made extra points that had been held by Bob Paulling in 1979-83. Hunt scored five points in
the game on a field goal and two PATs and now has 192 career points, tied for seventh in Clemson history with Lester Brown.
*Clemson saw its streak of consecutive games improving its total offense end at four. It was the longest such streak by the Tigers since 1983. Still, Clemson did gain 412 yards in the game, the third straight game Clemson has gained at least 400 yards. It as the fourth straight game Clemson has gained at least 5.2 yards per play.
*As a team, Clemson is now completing 61 percent of its passes for the year, ahead of the record pace of the 60.5 percent set in 1997.
Clemson - Virginia News & Notes
CUTigers.com Top Stories
Inside the Matchup: Clemson vs Florida StateThe Tigers and Seminoles face off with CFP implications on the line
Scout CFBYesterday at 11:11 AM
TUESDAY DABO PC AND INTERVIEWSCUTigers was at the Clemson West Zone on Tuesday for Dabo Swinney's weekly press conference and interviews with Brent Venables, Christian Wilkins, Jadar Johnson and Kendall Joesph.
CUTigers.comTuesday at 12:00 PM
Updated Scout 300 Trend Meter For 2017The updated Scout 300 Trend Meter for the 2017 class takes a look at which schools are trending for each uncommitted member in the Scout 300.
Scout FootballTuesday at 5:40 AM
RECRUITING RADARIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comMonday at 3:20 PM
MONDAY WEST ZONE INTERVIEWSWatch Deshaun Watson, Wayne Gallman and Tony Elliott discuss the upcoming showdown with Florida State!
CUTigers.comMonday at 2:56 PM