Site: Humphrey Coliseum (10,500)
Date: Thursday, November 15, 2007
City: Starkville, Time: 8:00 PM (Eastern)
TV: Fox Sports Net South (Dave Neal, Mike Gminski)
Radio: Clemson Tiger Sports Properties (Pete Yanity, Tim Bourret)
• Clemson won its 23rd consecutive season opener with a 91-46 victory over Furman on November 12. It was Clemson's largest victory margin in a season opener since a 114-69 win over Morehead State in 1991-92.
• Clemson tied a school record with 25 steals in the win over Furman. Clemson had 25 in its season opening win over Hampton in 2004-05, Oliver Purnell's second season at Clemson. James Mays led Clemson with six steals, the most steals by a Clemson frontcourt player since Iker Iturbe had six against NC State on March 1, 1995.
• Oliver Purnell is now 5-0 in season openers at Clemson with an average victory margin of 37.6.
• Clemson forward James Mays got his senior season off to a good start with 17 points, six rebounds and six steals against Furman in just 20 minutes of play. It was his career high in steals and tied a Clemson record for steals in a game by a frontcourt player.
• This is the first of four meetings against SEC teams for the Tigers in 2007-08. This is the first time Clemson has played four SEC teams during the regular season. Clemson was 4-0 last yeat against teams from the SEC, including a win over Mississippi in the NIT. Purnell is 7-3 against SEC teams as the Clemson coach, including seven wins in his last eight games.
• Clemson was 18-1 last year against non-conference teams, and is 1-0 this year.
• Clemson has a 19-1 record in the month of November under Oliver Purnell and has won 14 games in a row. Clemson is 82-15 all-time in November.
• Demontez Stitt got his Clemson career off to a good start with 12 points on 6-10 shooting. He became the 17th first-year freshman in Clemson history to start his the first game of the year, the fourth under Oliver Purnell.
• Clemson defeated Mississippi State last year at Clemson by a 69-66 score. Cliff Hammonds led the Tigers with 20 points, while James Mays had 17 points and 12 rebounds.
• Mississippi State center Brian Johnson played against Clemson for Louisville in the 2006 NIT. He had a still career high 13 points and 13 rebounds against the Tigers in that game.
• Clemson forced 37 Furman turnovers in its season opening win. Mississippi State committed just four turnovers on offense in its season opening victory over Louisiana Tech.
• Clemson was picked 12th in the preseason college basketball poll by Basketball Times. The Tigers were also ranked 22nd by Street & Smith. The Tigers are 26th in poll points by USA Today and 27th by Associated Press this week.
NOTES: Clemson at Mississippi State
CUTigers.com Top Stories
Updated Scout 300 Trend Meter For 2017The updated Scout 300 Trend Meter for the 2017 class takes a look at which schools are trending for each uncommitted member in the Scout 300.
Scout Football5:40 AM
RECRUITING RADARIn our weekly Recruiting Radar, CUTigers Recruiting Analyst Gary McDaniel updates you on the latest news and intel on the Clemson recruiting front!
CUTigers.comYesterday at 3:20 PM
MONDAY WEST ZONE INTERVIEWSWatch Deshaun Watson, Wayne Gallman and Tony Elliott discuss the upcoming showdown with Florida State!
CUTigers.comYesterday at 2:56 PM
TIGERS REMAIN #3 IN BOTH POLLSWith Ohio State losing and Michigan jumping to #2, idle Clemson sits at #3 in both of Sunday's polls.
CUTigers.comSunday at 10:59 AM