Colorado is looking to put the past behind them, and move the Buffs program to the future.
The easiest way to do that Sunday afternoon is to find a way to turn the tables on arch rival Colorado State in the Rocky Mountain Showdown at Sports Authority Field Sunday afternoon at 4:00 p.m. mountain time.
BuffPlayBook.com looks at the 5 Keys to the Game for the Buffs to be successful against the Rams.
1. The biggest key has to be gaining early confidence. After winning just one game in 2012, Mike MacIntyre and his coaching staff has to find a way to produce early success and build confidence early in this battle.
2. Connor Wood must have confidence in his play. He must stay level headed, and lead his team to victory. Wood must play his game, he doesn't need to over do things, he must have faith in the rest of his team to make plays as well.
3. Can't turn the ball over, ball protection is a must for the Buffs. No fumbles, no interceptions. The Buffs defense also needs to cause a few turnovers. If Colorado wins the turnover ratio against the Rams, look for Colorado to have a successful debut for MacIntyre's career at Colorado.
4. Paul Richardson will be double team throughout the game. He and the coaching staff have to find ways to get the ball in this playmakers hands. Richardson gives the Buffs a speed threat and a home run threat anytime he touches the football.
5. This Buff's defense has to have a solid outing against the Rams. CU Defensive Coordinator Kent Baer has been talking about playing more consistent on defense, that's a must for the Buffs.
This Colorado football team will play much better and with with a higher intensity for MacIntyre. One thing that must happen is that the Buffs will have to keep their heads up when adversity hits. How will they respond, will they put that play behind them and play better on the next play.
If the Buffs can do that, gain some early confidence and not let their emotions get to them, look for Colorado to reverse the tables on the Rams this season.
The Buffs haven't forgotten losing to CSU last year, this CU team appears to have a chip on their shoulder and should be very hungry for a win.