Buffs blow out Air Force in big road game

Colorado Springs, COThe University of Colorado Buffaloes picked up their first true road win of the season after powering past the United States Air Force Academy Falcons in a landslide, 81-57.

Colorado Springs, COThe University of Colorado Buffaloes picked up their first true road win of the season after powering past the United States Air Force Academy Falcons in a landslide, 81-57.

"Winning on the road is never easy, and this was nice. And to do it in the fashion that we did...seems like the best that we did in terms of margin in the last four years," head coach Tad Boyle said.

With this win, Boyle improved his overall record with the Buffs to 76-39, making him the first coach to reach 76 victories for Colorado in the shortest amount of time in his four seasons.

In addition to this feat, the Buffs picked up their seventh straight victory, a feat that had not been achieved since the 2005-06 season when they won nine straight in non-conference play.

Josh Scott led the herd with 16 points, 13 rebounds, two assists and a steal, and picked up his third double-double of the season and the fifth of his career. Junior guard Askia Booker was right behind him with 13 points, two rebounds, and a steal of his own. Sophomore forward Xavier Johnson also added 11 points to the mix.

"First off, I'd like to say that Ski was hot, and we were shooting the ball real well," Scott said. "I think one of the beauties of our team is that it doesn't have to be one person scoring well through the whole game."

The Buffs held a slight edge over the Falcons on offense, shooting 46.6% from the field (27 for 58), 37.5% from the three-point range (9 for 24), and 75% from the free throw line (18 for 24). They managed to hold the Falcons to 41.3% shooting from the field (19 for 46), 27.3% shooting from the perimeter (6 for 22), and 68.4% shooting from the foul line (13 for 19).

"There was a possibility we could lose because it's their home floor, so we wanted to come out and get them early," freshman forward Wesley Gordon said.

The Buffs definitely struck first and early. They held the lead for the entire 40 minutes of play, and the Falcons never got close to overcoming them.

Saturday's game got off to a quick start for the Buffaloes with a three-point shot from Booker after the first minute of play, putting the Buffs up early (3-0). Less than a minute later, he complimented his own shot with another trey, 6-0.

The Falcons got on board soon after with a layup from Darrius Parker (6-2), but the Buffs responded quickly with two buckets from Xavier Johnson and Booker in the next thirty seconds (10-2).

The Buffs acquired their biggest lead of 17 points in the first off of a pair of free throws from Gordon with just under six minutes left of play, 29-12. Going into the half, the Falcons kicked it into gear and outscored the Buffs 12 to 5, but they only managed to cut the deficit to 10.

The Buffs went into the half with a 10-point lead, 34-24.

The Buffs shot decently in the first, going 12 for 26 from the field (46.2%), 5 for 13 from the three-point range (38.5%), and 5 for 8 from the foul line (62.5%). Despite a lazy defensive effort for much of the half, the Buffs still managed to hold Air Force to 9 for 22 shooting from the field (40.9%), 4 for 12 from behind the arc (33.3%), and 2 for 2 from the free throw line.

Over the first four minutes of the game, Booker shot 100% from the field, going 4 for 4 with 10 points. That was all he got for the rest of the first. Despite missing his next five shot attempts going into the half, Booker still led the team with 10 points and 2 rebounds.

The Buffs went into the second half in a similar fashion as the first, starting right off the bat with a three-point play from Johnson with 19:42 left on the clock (37-24). Booker added to the lead with another trey 30 seconds later, putting the Buffs up by 16 points, 40-24.

The Buffs held the momentum for the rest of the game, and the Falcons were never able to recover. Colorado's biggest lead came with just under six minutes left, after a two-point shot from Johnson put the Buffs up by 29 points, 71-42.

By the end of the game, the Falcons only managed to get within 24. The Buffs defeated the Falcons once and for all with a final score of 81-57.

The Buffs return to the court on Tuesday, Dec 3 and will take on the Colorado State Rams in Fort Collins at 7:00 p.m. in their biggest non-conference rivalry game of the year.

BuffStampede Top Stories