MacIntyre's Contract Extension Approved by the CU Board of Regents

More than five months after Mike MacIntyre signed a contract extension, it was finally approved by the CU Board of Regents...

Mike MacIntyre's new contract is for $14.85 million over its five-years length, beginning with a salary of nearly $3 million for the 2017 season.

The CU Board of Regents' vote on MacIntyre's contract proposal passed with an 8-0 vote on Thursday. Regent Linda Shoemaker decided to abstain from voting, and was not in favor of the extension, sources have told BuffStampede.com.

"I appreciate the confidence in me the Board of Regents demonstrated by approving this extension," MacIntyre said in a released statement "I look forward to continuing to contribute to the success of our student-athletes in the classroom and community and on the football field."

The 2016 National Coach of the Year, MacIntyre led Colorado to 10 wins in 2016, including an 8-1 mark in Pac-12 play and a South Division title. The Buffaloes won just five conference games, with 45 losses, the previous six seasons.

The delay to vote on his contract extension was a result of the investigation that looked into MacIntyre's, and the University's, handling of domestic violence accusations against former Colorado assistant coach Joe Tumpkin.

Ex-Senator and former interior secretary Ken Salazar was retained by the Board of Regents while the Cozen O'Connor law firm conducted a lengthy investigation. Salazar concluded that mistakes were made by MacIntyre and his superiors in the handling of the Tumpkin situation, but there was "no ill intent."

A review by WilmerHale also revealed MacIntyre had not been trained in his role as a mandated reporter by the Office of Inequity and Compliance since 2013, and the training he did receive four years ago “did not address how the reporting obligation applies to acts perpetrated against non-affiliates or off-campus conduct that does not occur in the course of CU employment, educational programs or activities.”

The Board of Regents announced earlier this week that MacIntyre will make a $100,000 payment to domestic violence programs and he will receive one-on-one training on how to properly handle future allegations of misconduct.

Colorado is the second football program MacIntyre has turned around as a head coach in the last decade. Before being hired in Boulder in 2012, he led San Jose State to 10 wins.

The Buffaloes return eight offensive starters off last year's division winning squad, not including quarterback Steven Montez, who also saw action in multiple games. Defensively, Colorado has three new defensive assistants and the Buffs will field eight new starters.

"I am blessed to be entrusted with such an incredible group of young men and a staff who have fought to lay a foundation for this football program," MacIntyre said back in early January when signing the contract extension. "The support from the administration has been tremendous, as has the enthusiasm from the fans. Together we have come together to accomplish something special. The future is bright for Colorado football."


BuffStampede Top Stories