Greer Goes Wild, Mullen Beats Creek 30-9

Mullen's Maurice Greer ran for 228 yards on 28 carries and two touchdowns, leading the Mustangs to victory in the 5A state title game. Mullen (13-1) was the only team to beat Cherry Creek (12-2) this year, while the Mustangs' only loss came out of state. Here is the complete recap of the 5A state title game.

"We just came to play," stated Greer after a dominating performance. "We made the adjustments and made the plays when it mattered. All year this was our focus. We wanted this real bad."

Cherry Creek jumped out to early leads of 6-0 on a 20 yard touchdown run by Steve Michon and 9-0 after a 43 yard Aric Goodman field goal, set-up by a Darin McDonald's interception of Mullen's Mark Woulf.

That would be all the scoring for Cherry Creek on the day.

Mullen got on the scoreboard with an eight yard touchdown run by Greer to close out the first quarter at 9-7 Cherry Creek.

Both teams would trade possessions in the second quarter until an interception by Mullen's Grant Crunkleton gave the Mustangs the ball at the Cherry Creek 23 yard line. Four plays later kicker Caleb Pavy hit a 40 yarder and gave Mullen a 10-9 lead they would never relinquish.

After another Cherry Creek three and out, Mullen took over on the Cherry Creek 48 yard line. Maurice Greer would account for 30 of the 48 yards, dashing up the middle for a 16 yard touchdown. This drive was kept alive after Creek ran into Mullen's kicker Caleb Pavy during his attempt of a 31 yard field goal.

Mullen finished off the half with a 23 yard Pavy field goal.

The second half began just as it ended. A Cherry Creek (WR Mark Moss) fumble deep in its own territory turned into a Mullen 23 yard field goal putting the score at 23-9.

Momentum seemed to shift after a 70 yard punt by Goodman pinned the Mustangs at their own ten yard line. A three and out by the Mullen offense compounded by a short punt and 15 yard personal foul penalty, gave the Bruins the ball at the Mullen 22 yard line. Two plays later Crunkleton intercepted Cherry Creek QB Kelsey Sokoloski in the endzone.

Crunkleton was ecstatic after the game. Asked about his two interceptions, Crunkleton stated, "I was just trying to make a play. On the first one the ball was just hanging (tipped) and I just broke on it. The other was just an inside throw and I was there to catch it."

Cherry Creek held Mullen and was driving to what looked like a touchdown but RB Steve Michon laid the ball on the turf giving the mustangs the ball back on their 21 yard line.

Mullen added insult to injury, early in the fourth quarter, going 99 yards in three plays, keyed by a 55 yard Greer run and a 43 yard touchdown reception by reserve running back Phillip Morelli.

Cherry Creek would threaten once again in the fourth quarter only to have wide receiver Derrick Levy drop a sure touchdown in the corner of the endzone after being hit hard.

Mullen ran out the clock taking three kneel down plays deep in Creek territory to end the game and the student body charged the field.

After hoisting the team trophy, Mullen head coach Dave Logan had these words. "Give credit to Cherry Creek. That was only the second time we had been down all year, it showed our heart. I am real proud of these guys. We made some plays and still they hung around. This was a great win for us and I can't say just how proud of these guys I am."

Cherry Creek head coach Greg Critchett was a little more dejected. "They just raised the bar today. That was a damn good team today. We missed out on some opportunities and we kept battling but that was tough team over there. They aren't the champions for nothing! We had a good year but this was a tough loss."


The game was much closer than it seemed as Creek had four possessions inside the redzone late in the third and fourth quarters coming away empty handed.

Greer dominated the game with his speed and power. He was ran down though after breaking what looked to be a 98 yard touchdown and was caught at the Creek 43.

Key Stat

Cherry Creek did not have a first down from 3:54 in the first quarter until 3:30 left in the third and was still in the game at 23-9.

BuffStampede Top Stories