• The senior cornerback's has an unlimited minutes cell phone plan. Good thing. He had nearly 50 text messages and 20 to 25 voice mails from friends and family after Saturday's win.
• Former CU secondary coach Craig Bray is in his first season as defensive coordinator at Arizona State. It's no secret several CU defensive backs clashed with Bray — known for calling out his players in public situations — during his time in Boulder. Asked about that, Wheatley declined to comment. However, an indication of Wheatley's frame of mind going into Saturday's game in Tempe: The cornerback asked coaches if he could get a few turns at wide receiver in the game vs. the Sun Devils.
• CU offensive coordinator Mark Helfrich recruited Arizona State junior quarterback Rudy Carpenter when Helfrich was quarterbacks coach at ASU. Helfrich called Carpenter, who threw for 197 yards and two touchdowns in ASU's 42-3 win over San Jose State last week, tough, accurate, smart and athletic.
• Helfrich said the Sun Devils would occasionally try and take advantage of the September heat in Tempe when they game planned for visiting opponents. But he noted it's been fairly hot in Boulder during the past month, and CU players should be fine.
Still, CU trainers are paying extra attention to the players in terms of hydration this week. And CU will have their NIKE cooling vests available to players on Saturday.
Kickoff is set for 8:28 p.m., and the temperature is projected to be around 100 degrees at that time.
• The Buffs had Monday off. Monday is the players' NCAA mandated day off each week. But quarterback Cody Hawkins said he's never seen as many players in the Dal Ward Center watching game film as he did Monday, when he and his teammates were studying for ASU.
• Tailback Hugh Charles was on sand duty Tuesday. He's still listed as day to day with the hamstring.
The NCAA, however, uses the statistics recorded during the games. Dizon was credited with 20 tackles vs. CSU. He currently leads the NCAA in tackles per game.
We can assume, though, his position coach has let Dizon know he's done better. Brian Cabral had a 25 tackle game when he played for the Buffs in the mid-70s.
• With the new coaching staff in Tempe, and only one game (last Saturday's win over an outmatched San Jose State team) from which to pull game film, CU coaches are studying tendencies from the coordinators previous stops, as they plan for Saturday's action.