Hoyas Block Bluejays' Route to Big East Title

After losing in D.C., CU needs consecutive losses by Villanova for a chance at the top seed in NYC.

For the second consecutive game the 13th-ranked Creighton Bluejays (23-6, 13-4) diminished their shot at a Big East regular season title and improved their opponent's NCAA tournament outlook.

On Tuesday night in the nation's capital, Georgetown (17-12, 8-9) padded its résumé with a 75-63 win over the Bluejays. The Hoyas' backcourt dissected the CU defense. Markel Starks celebrated his "Senior Night" with 17 points and five assists, while D'Vantes Smith-Rivera finished with 18 points and 11 rebounds.

McDermott led Creighton with 22 points on 9-of-23 shooting and grabbed 12 rebounds. Grant Gibbs and Austin Chatman were the only other Jays to register much offense, scoring 17 and 14 points, respectively.

Things look good for the visitors early. Ethan Wragge hit a three to open the scoring, but the senior failed to score the rest of the game. The Hoyas then scored seven unanswered, and CU would never lead again.

Georgetown scored 11 points off seven CU turnovers in the opening half, controlling a 42-28 lead at the break. Smith-Rivera hit 6-of-8 from the field and had 13 points at the break, while Jabril Trawick added 10. Chatman scored eight of his 14 points in the first half. McDermott scored just six points in the opening 20 minutes and hit just 3-of-10 attempts from the field.

With CU struggling to contain Georgetown on the perimeter, the Jays employed different defensive looks in the second half. Coach McDermott tried a triangle-and-two and a two-three zone at different times, but neither truly rattled the Hoyas. John Thompson III's squad still owned a 12-point lead with 8:48 left before CU made its charge.

McDermott connected on three triples in the span of 3:45 and the Bluejays were within six with just over five minutes to play. Trawick and Starks responded by hitting 3-of-4 from the line on ensuing possessions, which kept the Jays at a distance before Gibbs got hot. The veteran distributor connected from deep on consecutive possessions, and CU was within five with 1:32 to play.

Following an Aaron Bowen layup, the Hoyas iced the game from the line by making 5-of-6 in the final minute. The Bluejays only turned the ball over once in the second half, and hung tight on the boards. Georgetown was much more efficient offensively, shooting 54 percent to CU's 40 percent. The Hoyas also brought the action on defense, swatting eight shots and recording two steals, compared to the Jays' zero blocks and two takeaways.

Creighton returns to action on Saturday night, when Providence heads to Omaha for Creighton's senior night. The Friars beat Creighton 81-68 in their previous meeting this season.

Bluejay Report Top Stories